Today, I'm very excited to share my thoughts on Dylan Madeley's book, The Last Gift-Knight. Dylan sent me a copy of his book after reaching out to ask for a review and I'm really glad he did. Keep reading to find out what I thought to The Last Gift-Knight, and decide whether this will be your next great read...
But first, let's meet the book!
Two lives, the legacies of grand stories, are at the forefront of this tale.
Frustrated with living in the shadow of a long-dead hero, Derek flees to infamous ruins and begs his ancestors for a sign. The next day, he is summoned to serve as the personal guard of his family's greatest enemy. The ensuing journey leads him through storied places, the depths of loneliness, and a growing dread over what awaits at his destination.
A reserved and bookish princess unexpectedly finds herself on the throne yet under suspicion. Chandra hardly has time to prepare or to grieve before facing her duties. Aided by a trustworthy few, she must identify and defeat the culprits before the next plot comes to fruition -
one in which Derek is unwittingly key.
My Review
I am usually to be found posting about Historical Fiction but, to many of you, it will come as no surprise that I am very pleased today to share a review for a High Fantasy book. High Fantasy has long been my go-to genre and - as a result - I've read a mixed bag over the years. There is an assumption that, as fiction writing comes from the imagination, High Fantasy is an easy genre to write as it's all imagination - but nothing could be further from the truth! High Fantasy means not only creating a plot and characters, but also building a complete and believable world to support them.
I'm please to report that Dylan Madeley did this fantastically. There were no holes in this world and the established rules of politics, prophesy, and history were all soundly in place. A quick look on Madeley's website and it becomes apparent why his world feels so believable - this book was not written overnight!
The characters are strong and very well established throughout the book. I can't say I especially liked either Derek or Chandra, but that was not enough to stop me reading about their adventures. I was rooting for Jan, the epitome of duty and loyalty. I was a little surprised, based on the blurb, that Derek did not seem like the lead character, but the political nature of the main plot meant that Chandra was more at the forefront.
The pacing in the book was very rapid and there were only a few times that it slowed down. I was a bit sorry that there wasn't more chance for the author's own voice to come through (you know how I love language!) but the racing plot would not allow it. Nevertheless, there were moments when it became clear that Madeley has this skill, with occasional phrases which just resonated. This gave me cause to think that The Last Gift-Knight is perhaps best placed in a young adult category.
I was very pleased to find there was a map at the beginning of the book, and it is a beautiful map! Be sure to bookmark this if you're reading on an eReader. Unfortunately, in the paperback the map is very small.
Overall, this is a brilliant young adult book for those who enjoy fantasy with strong political intrigue, with strong characters in a well-constructed world.
If you would like me to review your book, please check our New Review Policy and - if your book is a good match - send me an email!

Comments
Post a Comment