Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home



I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford!

Mrs Murray's Home

Blurb

Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”.

Review



I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course, he's not! He's a brownie!) but I enjoyed his grumbles and his sweet nature. Having the two aspects worked really well and made him an enjoyably 3D character. He was certainly my favourite character. Funny, caring, and relatable.

I also liked the little twists (which I won't mentioned here!) and the surprises in the novel that were interwoven skilfully into the story. I never felt that the story was forced. The plot was fast paced and certainly enjoyable!

Although this is not the first book with these characters, the author relays the prior information really well, without info-dumping. I haven't read the earlier books, but I found I didn't need to. It was an enjoyable standalone story.

There was one thing that niggled me quite a bit about the book: the research about Scotland. I've never known it to snow in July. The last frost date is in May.
It's also incredibly tricky using real places. The book is mostly set at Blair Castle - a real place owned (at the time) by a real family. Strangely, I had no problem with the brownies in the castle. It was Cousin George who I took exception to. Personally, I'd have preferred it if Mary and her Granny visited a fictional castle, or the old Duke of Atholl was portrayed a little more realistically.

I also wasn't sure about the witch, and how she was "born bad". I do love a good baddy back-story - you know, a reason for all the bad stuff that they've done - and I don't really like a kid's book to have the Born-Bad-Baddy. Personally, I think this isn't a good lesson for kids to learn.

On the whole, however, I really enjoyed reading this book. I read the entire book in a day, which is always an indication of a fabulous plot! Thank you Emily-Jane Hills Orford for sharing this gripping book with me!

Emily-Jane Hills Orford



Please do leave your own review on Amazon, or Goodreads, or whichever your favourite book platform is. Reviews really help authors!

There's an awesome Rafflecopter prize that you can enter by following this link:

Please follow the rest of the tour posts of this gripping book as it starts its journey into the world:

Comments

  1. Thanks for hosting me and my book, "Mrs. Murray's Home". Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I may have to search out the previous books!

      Delete
  2. I like the cover. Did you help design it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The publisher has an amazing cover designer who has designed the covers for each book in the series. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. The book sounds great and I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really entertaining book!

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I have to admit I had a lot of fun writing all the books in this series. There's one more to come.

      Delete
  4. You're very welcome! Thank you for the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fun read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read this book and the other books in the series. One more book to come.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for both the book description and giveaway as well. I enjoy hearing about another good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you find a difficult time concentrating on your work due to everything going on in the country right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to write. It's my sanity. When my mother was dying of cancer ten years ago and my son was fighting his own battle with cancer at the same time, I had to write. Writing takes me away from the problems of the day without having to sacrifice the importance of those around me. So, yes, it is difficult, but I make myself write - every day. To keep me sane in a time full of insanity.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...