Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Time, time, time...

This week, we finally managed to install our new (not new ) item of furniture - a mid-18th Century grandfather clock. It's not bright and shiny like more modern ones, but a dark oak with a warm patina which the beeswax polish is drawing out. In order to set it up, we had to do a certain amount of research - how to hang the pendulum, where the weight went on the endless chain - and it got me thinking... where and when did certain divisions of time come from? The time periods which I have written either had household clocks or didn't, I have not written novels from the time of their invention. Clocks have been around for a long time, and the obsession with measuring time in an ordered fashion dates back to at least  the ancient Sumerians. It was they who established a circular reading of time and, I imagine, the sixty seconds/minutes came about as much because it was an easy way to divide a circle as anything else. But it wasn't until much later that the precision of seconds ...

#HistFicThursdays - Escape of the Grand Duchess by Susan Appleyard - Author Interview

  

Today's #HistFicThursdays blog is a brilliant interview with Susan Appleyard, as part of her Yarde Book Promotion tour! I was very excited to be a part of this tour as Susan is a fellow member of the Historical Writers' Forum, too. Read on to find out about her influences, inspirations, and the thrilling story readers can expect to share in with Escape of the Grand Duchess.

But first, let's meet the book...

Blurb

Escape of the Grand Duchess by Susan Appleyard is a gripping historical novel that shatters the notion that royalty is synonymous with privilege and ease. At its heart is Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, the youngest sister of Tsar Nicholas II—a Romanov who defied a doomed destiny and survived.

Unlike her ill-fated brother and his family, Olga’s story is one of resilience, sacrifice, and daring escape. Trapped in a loveless marriage to a reckless gambler—who harbours secrets of his own—she finds hope in the arms of a dashing army lieutenant. But before she can claim her own happiness, she must first endure the brutal realities of World War I, where she serves as a nurse on the frontlines.

As the Russian Empire teeters on the brink of collapse, the infamous Siberian mystic Rasputin tightens his grip on the imperial court, setting the stage for revolution. With the Bolsheviks seizing power and the Romanovs marked for death, Olga faces an impossible choice: risk everything to stay or flee into the unknown with her true love and their children.

Rich in historical detail and driven by an unforgettable heroine, Escape of the Grand Duchess is a sweeping riches-to-rags tale of survival, love, and the strength it takes to forge a new life in the face of unimaginable upheaval.

Praise for Escape of the Grand Duchess

“Escape of the Grand Duchess” is not merely a tale of survival; it is an emotional and gripping exploration of Olga’s unwavering desire to seek solace amidst the ruins of her past. The novel beautifully captures her internal struggles and the relentless hope that drives her onward, making it a poignant and vivid narrative of resilience. This book comes highly recommended.

Escape of the Grand Duchess
is available via this Universal Link

Author Interview

What inspired you to write this book?

I have always been fascinated by the tragic story of Nicholas II and wanted to write about it without focusing too much on the tragedy. Olga’s story gave me the perfect vehicle.

Is there anything about your writing process which is unusual or unique to you?

Oh yes. I write only when I feel like it. I used to be more disciplined, but no longer. 

How much of yourself goes into the characters you create?

Nothing much, I think. 

What’s the first thing you do once you complete a manuscript? Is it immediately sent to the first readers, or does it go on ice for a while?

When I complete the first draft, I leave it for a while. Same with any further drafts. But when I am satisfied with the edits, it moves forward.

What emotions should your readers expect to feel when reading this book for the first time?

Sorrow, anger, and heartened.

Were there any parts of the book which were particularly challenging to write? Maybe because of heightened emotions or research challenges?

Fitting the backstory in without overwhelming the main narrative is always a challenge. In my case these were World War I and the Russian Revolution, which was pivotal to the story.

Which authors have most influenced your writing style?

Sharon Kay Penman, Cecilia Holland, and Pauline Gedge.

What three pieces of advice would you give to aspiring writers? 

Finish the book first. (It may sound obvious, but I’ve had several people ask me how to get published before they have finished or even started a book.) Celebrate it – it’s a big deal! Find Beta readers, respect their opinions but don’t follow slavishly. 

Is writing “real life” for you, or do you need to balance it with other things?

Writing has been a major part of my life since I was seventeen. I’m not sure I could live without it. But I also enjoy doing other things. I go to the gym, enjoy activities at our local community centre, but I especially enjoy loafing on a beach and frolicking in the water.

What’s next for you as a writer?

I am working on the second draft of another book set in Russia about Olga’s grandparents.


Now, let's meet the author:

Susan was born in England, which is where she learned to love English history, and now lives in Canada in the summer. In winter she and her husband flee the cold for their second home in Mexico. Susan divides her time between writing and her hobby, oil painting, although writing will always be her first love. She was fortunate in having had two books published traditionally. Since joining the ebook crowd, she has published nine books, some of which have won various awards.


You can follow Susan on these links:
Keep up with the rest of the Escape of the Grand Duchess tour stops by clicking on the banner below:

Comments

  1. Many thanks for hosting today’s stop on the Escape of the Grand Duchess tour and for sharing the book with your readers. Your support is greatly appreciated! ✨📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this. I appreciate your questions and the opportunity to share my thoughts with prospective readers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...