When my pupils find out that I'm a writer, there is a general air of fascination for a while. They Google my books and ask if they can buy them on Amazon (they can, but - by and large - they don't) and want to know why I need to teach if I'm a published author. The answer is simple, of course: when I'm doing well, I break even as an author, I never make actual money. But recently I've realised that being an English teacher is something I would continue even if I had a sudden jackpot win on the lottery. I love my job. Take today for example: I got to teach Seamus Heaney's Digging to a group of S1s, held a mock trial for Dr Frankenstein with my S3s, read a chapter of The Graveyard Book with my S2s, and - perhaps best of all - began the analysis of M.R. James' A Warning to the Curious with my S4 class. Who wouldn't want that job? I think writers make great English teachers - and editors make even better ones! We are used to spotting little details here an...
It's back for another year...
Welcome to this year's #HistFicMay!
I know a number of writers like to have these prompt in advance so that you can line up a few answers, so it seemed like a good time to share them. Of course, the aim of #HistFicMay is to celebrate both the fantastic network of historical fiction writers and their books, so even if you don't use the prompts, hopefully you can use the hashtag on your social media to discover fabulous authors and writings.
And here they are:
- Introduce yourself and your writing
- Who inspired you to become a writer?
- Standalone or series?
- Do you always/ever write happy ever afters?
- One time period or dual (or more!) timeline?
- What is your favourite era to write about?
- What is your favourite era to read about?
Let's talk about research... - What has been your greatest research discovery?
- Which source do you always go back to?
- What's your strangest rabbit hole?
- Has research ever driven you mad?
- If you could time travel, when would you go to?
Now for your main character... - Introduce your MC.
- What is their drive and goal?
- What's their favourite colour?
- Who plays your MC in the movie?
- What do other characters think of your MC?
- Is you MC based on anyone?
- What superpower does your MC wish they had?
Share your words... - What's your opening line?
- Best description.
- Favourite quote.
- Last word (END doesn't count!).
Just for fun! - Your characters come to dinner - what do you serve?
- What's your historical Mastermind topic?
- Which of your characters is your "phone a friend"?
- What song always makes you think about your book?
- To whom is your book dedicated?
- Who's your ideal collaborator for writing?
- What's the honest tagline for your book?
- Tell your story in emojis.
It's only the month after next and I can't wait! Make sure you download the graphic at the top of this post and spread the word! Let's make this #HistFicMay the biggest yet!

Comments
Post a Comment