Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

#HistFicThursdays - Under His Spell - Luv Lubker - Book Excerpt

 This week for #HistFicThursdays, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with The Coffee Pot Book Club for author Luv Lubker's blog tour! Today, I'm sharing an excerpt from her gorgeous book, Under His Spell!

First of all, let's meet the book...

A beautiful love story between the Princess Royal Victoria and Fritz Wilhelm, Frederick III of Prussia

A lonely young man attends the first World’s Fair – the Great Exhibition of 1851 – and meets a family who changes his life forever.

Follow the young Prince Fritz – later Friedrich III – of Prussia and his wife, Queen Victoria’s eldest daughter, Vicky, (parents of Kaiser Wilhelm II) through their courtship and the joys and struggles of their first four years of marriage. 

Fritz and Vicky dream of a peaceful united Germany, but Fritz’s uncle Karl has his own dreams of power…

Discover often hinted at but unrevealed secrets of the Prussian Royal court…



You can buy Under His Spell via this Universal Link


And here's an excerpt to whet your appetite:

Vicky stepped out of her dressing-room. The moonlight was bright; Fritz was already in bed, and appeared to be asleep. She sat down quietly on the bed to brush her hair, and carefully began to braid it.

“Do you need any help with that?”

She jumped up and whirled around at the touch of Fritz’s hand on her shoulder.

“I’m sorry, I forgot.” She could see his face flush even in the moonlight. “You have been so well and like yourself, I didn’t think of that.”

“I have felt very well, indeed; even having to sit with – him – last month – didn’t make me have nightmares. I am only glad you spoke before you touched my shoulder, so…”

Fritz nodded. “Why didn’t you call your maid?”

“I didn’t want to disturb you, as I thought you were asleep. But yes, I would like some help. Alice and I always helped each other at home. Hold this strand while I…” She showed him what to do to help her with the long braid.

She glanced up as she tied the ribbon on the end. “What is so funny?”

He was smiling slightly, as he always did when he tried to hide that he was amused. “I was thinking of what I wrote to your Mama about the Emperor Alexander’s coronation, about not knowing the names of any details of the ladies’ dresses.”

“You know every detail of this, I suppose,” she said, glancing up at him as she fingered the details of the lace edge of her nightgown.

“No, I never see it, for what it contains; one does not study the package of the present one wishes to have most in the world.”

“Well, you may study it very closely now.” She slipped off her night-gown, pulling it over his head as she disappeared under the blankets, laughing.

***

“Fritz,” Vicky whispered as she laid her head on his shoulder. She sighed, and snuggled closer. “I haven’t felt so comfortable in my own skin in so long. I don’t think I will even have to put on my dressing-gown tonight, though I will want my night-gown. Where did you put it?”

“Where it always is.”


 Now, let's meet the author:

Luv Lubker has lived in the Victorian era half her life, making friends with the Brontë sisters and the extended family of Queen Victoria. Now she knows them quite as well as her own family.

Born in a cattle trough in the Appalachian mountains, Luv lives in Texas - when she comes to the modern world.

When she isn’t living in the Victorian era, she enjoys being with her family; making and eating delicious raw food, riding her bike (which she only learned to ride at 25, though she’d ridden a unicycle since she was 7), and watching animals - the passion of her childhood.

You can find Luv on these links:


To follow the rest of the Under His Spell tour, click on the banner below:


Comments

  1. Thank you for hosting Luv Lubker today!

    Cathie xx
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...