As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...
Hello!
I am writing this while hanging my head in shame because, if you look back over the last few entries, you'll see that I haven't written one for ages!
This is, quite simply, because I haven't read much in the last few months. I have a new job as a primary school teacher which is taking over my life but I am determined that next year, I will write at least 1 blog entry a month. I'd like to write more but I'm not sure that's realistic.
So, here goes...
(There is still a week of holiday left before I return to work so expect a few more entries soon!)
Merry Christmas, as Christmas lasts until 5th January in this house!
I am writing this while hanging my head in shame because, if you look back over the last few entries, you'll see that I haven't written one for ages!
This is, quite simply, because I haven't read much in the last few months. I have a new job as a primary school teacher which is taking over my life but I am determined that next year, I will write at least 1 blog entry a month. I'd like to write more but I'm not sure that's realistic.
So, here goes...
(There is still a week of holiday left before I return to work so expect a few more entries soon!)
Merry Christmas, as Christmas lasts until 5th January in this house!
![]() |
| Mulled wine in front of the Christmas tree. |

Comments
Post a Comment