Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Things to Inspire - Artwork

 This month's #HistFicThursdays have been all art-inspired, so I'm sticking with that theme! A couple of months ago, the Things to Inspire  blog was about sketches . Today's is about finished pieces of artwork! Artwork has been an inspiration for millions of people across thousands of years. Just like a book, the finished product can (hopefully!) be an inspiration. Over the years, we've collected one or two pieces of old artworks, and these are a few... Religious artwork has always been used as an inspiration and, historically, this was how the majority of people interacted with biblical stories. This was a barn find - probably created for someone's own interest judging by the naive style of artwork. It looks like it might have been from a panelled wall at some point. I wonder what happened to the rest of the panels and what story they might show when they are all together... Of course, not all artworks are paintings! Here is a scrimshaw of the Battle of Flamborough

#HistFicThursdays - Horrible Histories 2 - Mary Seacole

 Images conjured up by the phrase "Crimean War" tend to include the ill-fated Charge of the Light Brigade and Florence Nightingale as the Lady of the Lamp single-handedly fighting back cholera and treating the wounded. These are certainly what we were told about in school and were reflected in the children's history books. I ended up being amazed that the allied forces ever managed to beat the Russians... These sort of odds were bound to make a great book!

Medical history tends to make an appearance in all of my books, so it's no surprise that I opted to make my heroine a nurse. I began researching Florence Nightingale's work and was surprised to find it was not the story I'd been told in school. I'd been led to believe she was a battlefield nurse, but her hospital was so far behind the lines many wounded men would have died long before they reached it.

No, this was no good for my heroine. She had to be a roll-up-her-sleeves-and-get-the-job-done woman. She would be in the thick of it.

Sketch of Mary Seacole's British Hotel in Crimea
by Lady Alicia Blackwood


So then I scrapped my preconceived ideas and began delving into the research (and, as you know, I take research-delving very seriously!). It was here that I first properly met Mary Seacole. I had heard the name before and knew she was something to do with the Crimean War, but beyond that she was new to me. What I found was an incredible woman: strong, determined, and entirely committed to other people. She was a battlefield nurse in every sense of the phrase, establishing her hospital so close to the front line, she sometimes found herself under fire. Not only this, but she would also go out onto the field herself and help the wounded men after the battle.

How had I not met this woman, who put herself in harm's way to save and protect the men in her care, in my schooling? The answer is a simple one: colonial embarrassment. Here was a real heroine who was willing to lay her own health and wealth on the line to fulfil her drive to help and tend people. But, perhaps most extraordinary of all, she willingly did all this for people she knew could not accept her. In her autobiography, Wonderful Adventures of Mrs Seacole in Many Lands, she wrote about the War Office's decision not to send her in the second contingent of nurses:

Now, I am not for a single instant going to blame the authorities who would not listen to the offer of a motherly yellow woman to go to the Crimea and nurse her ‘sons’ there, suffering from cholera, diarrhœa, and a host of lesser ills. In my country, where people know our use, it would have been different; but here it was natural enough – although I had references, and other voices spoke for me – that they should laugh, good-naturedly enough, at my offer.

Astonishingly, it took more than 150 years for the descendants of the men whose lives she saved, to learn about her in the English school curriculum. I could not believe I had gone so many years believing Florence Nightingale had been the nurse of the Crimean War, but the embarrassment caused by our former empire and its attitudes make people a little uncomfortable to consider these things.

I was pleased to discover I wasn't the only one to feel this way. When I was introduced to the Horrible Histories song below, I realised that work is now being done to have the incredible Mary Seacole, not only known, but also recognised for her work. I speak as one of those people who for so long did not know her when I say: It's about time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud