Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

Book Spotlight - Jaxon and the Naughty Secret Monster - Madeline Pratchler


 Today we're pleased to be hosting Madeline Pratchler and her book Jaxon and the Naughty Secret Monster, as part of her Goddess Fish book tour!


Let's meet the book...

Jaxon's enthusiasm for the simplest things bubbles out of him, and ideas continually pop out of his very large brain. His delight in helping plant the garden with his family creates a magical learning opportunity, and he's well on his way to being as smart as his dad. But sometimes his zest needs to be clamped down, and his blurting embarrasses others.

When Dad shares a surprise for Mom, Jaxon discovers the secret monster: a naughty guy who lives inside him, waiting to blab as soon as his mouth opens. Jaxon swallows him down and tells him to be quiet inside his head, but will that monster listen? And what about the next time when Jaxon plots a prank on the ice cream man?


And here's an excerpt to whet your appetite...

Our family gathered at the garden’s edge the next morning.  Bossy and Pepper eagerly and curiously sniffed and circled around the garden.

I could feel the sun get more powerful all the time – it was much warmer than even a few weeks ago.  I wondered why we only have one sun.  Spring would come much quicker if we had two.  But maybe it would get too hot then.  And then maybe we wouldn’t have night anymore and I kind of liked cozy evenings with the lamp on and Mom reading to us.  Yeah, I decided, one sun is probably enough.

The garden looked soft.  Super soft and squishy.  I pulled off my boots so my feet were naked and I could feel the earth’s coolness between my toes.  Dad put a shovel into the rich black earth and I saw a squiggly pink worm.

“Are those potato snakes?” I asked excitedly.

“Nope!  Earthworms.  Earthworms are good,” Dad explained.  “They eat the bad bugs, eat the peelings and stuff Mom throws in here, make tunnels in the ground so roots can breathe, lots of things.  Even their poop helps.”

“Earthworm poop would be pretty tiny!” I looked over that wide garden and wondered aloud, “Just how much could one earthworm poop anyway?”

Dad laughed. “Well, I hope there’s more than one!  I hope it’s more like … a couple hundred?  That would make all the difference.”

I was amazed to think that so many worms might share our yard and garden.  What else could be living in our ground that I hadn’t even thought of yet?  Maybe even dinosaur bones!

I looked up at Dad’s head and I saw tears dripping off it.  He wiped it away with a sleeve, but more tears replaced them.  He saw me watching and smiled.

“I’m hot!” he said. “What a great feeling, after a long winter of being cold.  So, working up a sweat is most welcome!”

As he worked, more tears came and his forehead made stripes under his hat every time he pushed the shovel into the ground. I pushed up my eyebrows and felt my forehead, but I don’t think I had stripes like that.  Maybe that just happens to grown-ups.

You can buy the book at Amazon and Barnes and Noble and it will be FREE for the duration of the book tour!


Now let's meet the author...



As a young child, Madeline Pratchler was always telling stories, and as she grew she wrote stories and poetry, falling more and more in love with words, ideas, learning, reading and music. She is an accomplished musician on the organ and piano, and not so accomplished on the violin (yet!). A prairie girl through and through, she delights in big skies, clouds, horizons, fruit trees, and her garden. She lives in Humboldt, Saskatchewan, with her husband and their four children. Jaxon and the Naughty Secret Monster is her first book.

You can keep up with Madeline Pratchler on her website and Facebook page!

Madeline Pratchler will be awarding a $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour:

Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for hosting my book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great excerpt and giveaway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It was a fun book to write. Many of the cute and silly things my children said and did I captured in the book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...