Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Art as Inspiration

 Last year, the Historical Writers Forum published an anthology of stories which had been inspired by pieces of artwork. I take a particular pride in this anthology - not only because it is a fabulous collection of stories which mine is included in, but also because I helped to come up with the theme. In amongst the pages of Masterworks , you will find stories inspired by painting and sculptures, and one which was inspired by a carving. I wrote a blog on this little carving when the book came out last November (which you can find here !), but it got me thinking about other examples of artwork as an inspiration... As historical fiction writers, art is not only an inspiration, it is also a valuable tool. Through art, we can get an idea of what people looked like (very handy if you are writing about a real figure from history) and it can also be very handy for events and settings. One of my favourite continuous portrayals of an event is the example of Frost Fairs. These start from their n

Day 10 - Editing

Editing




One of the things that is a real privilege about being from a family of writers is having the opportunity to read raw, unedited first drafts. There is something very exciting about how those first thoughts and forays into a deep, rich imagination make the transition from brain to paper (or screen). I’m told that I’m bad for laughing at the mistakes that people make, and a first draft is always a great opportunity to do that too! The best example was almost certainly one of my own:
High Fantasy novel I wrote as a child/teenager/young adult: The king was returning from a big battle and about to enter the capital city with his annihilated army. Naturally, he was concerned, so he said, “how can I tell them that their sons and fathers will be returning?”
So, since then, I’ve been known for missing out “not”s in sentences.
Of course, when you have passed that exciting First Draft Stage and you’re beginning to look at preparing the book for going out into the wider world, the first edit that you need to do is going to deal solely with proofreading. All the accidentally hilarious bits have to go, and you’re left with a manuscript which is much more like what was originally intended. I would suggest that you really need the work printed for this, although it can just be on a standard printer and look like a big pile of A4 paper.
The following edits will be more contentious. For these, I strongly suggest getting a book bound so that the editor (whether professional, semi-professional or amateur) can experience your manuscript as a book. These will be content edits, although they will also get into the nitty gritty of things like sentence structure. With Crowvus, I have done a few of these edits, and the books that I edited are kept as treasure trove: this was the moment where an amazing story by a talented writer was turned into an actual book. I always say “one day they’ll be worth something”, but really they’re worth something now: they are timecapsules!
The conversations which stem from these edits is where your editor needs to have a relationship with the author which allows for frank conversation without descending into arguments. Anything that the editor suggests, the author needs to either agree with or else provide a strong reason why it should remain the same.
Remember, authors: the editor has their own view of your story too. I remember editing Beneath Black Clouds and White, having already edited Day’s Dying Glory and read two other manuscripts in the same series. For those who don’t know, Doctor Fotherby features heavily in them. I was nearly at the end of editing the book when suddenly the author wrote something about his “dark hair”. Hold on, wait a minute and hold your horses! I was most indignant about this: I had always imagined the good doctor to be fair-haired (I think, in my head, I based him on someone I knew from work!) and being told I had got his physical appearance wrong at this stage was just too much! Probably unsurprisingly, given how tenacious I am, this was removed from the book.
Being an editor is a tricky business, but working with authors to edit their work is one of the most rewarding things you can do in publishing. If you find yourself on this side of the manuscript, be prepared to make your author see their work in a way they hadn’t realised. I don’t believe in the “author is dead” theory, but they are certainly not the only ones whose imaginations are invested the fantastic manuscripts they have written.

Judith Crow
www.crowvus.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud