As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...
"Black Water" by Barbara Henderson
One of the first things that struck me about the book was how great the cover is. I love the picture, and I love the font. What makes this book even better is the awesome illustrations that appear at the chapter headings. The book is wonderfully formatted and a pleasure to have.
I started this book at tea time on the 5th November, thinking I should really give some time to a book I'd committed to reviewing. I finished the book at half 9 on the exact same day. Within minutes of starting, I realised I couldn't put the book down, but I didn't want to finish at the same time.
What I really liked about this book was that it included real people, which was described at the end. One of these real people was none other than celebrated poet Robert Burns, who was written exactly as I imagined him. I knew he was an Excise Man but I didn't make the connection that he'd be a great character in the book, even when I saw the chapter title "The Poet".
This book would make a very good class read. After Christmas, my topic with my P4s is "on the water", and I'm thrilled that this book has come out in time to be the perfect class novel. Closer to the topic, I will make some classroom resources that could be used in conjunction with this book. Teachers need all the help they can get!!
I was thrilled to be part of the book tour for this book, and I wish it every success through the coming months. Barbara Henderson will be appearing at the John o' Groats Book Festival in April if anyone would like to come and meet the author.
You can buy the book at any book shop worth it's salt, and here on Amazon.
Blurb
Down by the coast, black water swirls and hides its secrets...
Dumfries, 1792. Henry may only be thirteen, but he has already begun his training in the Excise, combatting smuggling like his father does. But when a large smuggling schooner is stranded nearby, the stakes are high—even with reinforcements, and the newly recruited officer, a poet called Robert Burns.
Musket fire, obstructive locals, quicksand and cannonballs—it is a mission of survival. As it turns out: Henry has a crucial part to play...
This book would make a very good class read. After Christmas, my topic with my P4s is "on the water", and I'm thrilled that this book has come out in time to be the perfect class novel. Closer to the topic, I will make some classroom resources that could be used in conjunction with this book. Teachers need all the help they can get!!
I was thrilled to be part of the book tour for this book, and I wish it every success through the coming months. Barbara Henderson will be appearing at the John o' Groats Book Festival in April if anyone would like to come and meet the author.
You can buy the book at any book shop worth it's salt, and here on Amazon.
Blurb
Down by the coast, black water swirls and hides its secrets...
Dumfries, 1792. Henry may only be thirteen, but he has already begun his training in the Excise, combatting smuggling like his father does. But when a large smuggling schooner is stranded nearby, the stakes are high—even with reinforcements, and the newly recruited officer, a poet called Robert Burns.
Musket fire, obstructive locals, quicksand and cannonballs—it is a mission of survival. As it turns out: Henry has a crucial part to play...




Comments
Post a Comment