Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

NaNoWriMo: How I Planned It - How I Wrote It

 Well, I won NaNoWriMo, actually with three days still on the clock to complete. That means I’m being inventive with writing my words if I want to get all my badges and, in turn, that means that I’m getting this blog written. I’ve been meaning to write a NaNoWriMo blog all month (Virginia wrote one which is available here) but I’m only just getting round to it on 28th November.

I can’t share great words of wisdom, because I’m not a great researcher like Ginny is, but I can tell you that this is the first time I have ever – ever, mark you – completely pantsed a novel. Here’s how it happened…

Before NaNoWriMo comes Preptober, and I took it seriously this year. I came up with this idea of “Me: A 50 Piece Jigsaw”. This would be the story of a girl whose dad dies and so she joins the circus (or, more precisely, the fairground) whilst realising that she’s actually psychic. Oh, and there’s this villainous doctor in the shadows who is trying to “cure” people of psychic-ness and her friends with the same gifts keep disappearing.

I actually think it sounds moderately convincing. I assigned it an exercise book and planned each one of the fifty chapters, each one with a different story or focus. Her dreams played a big part in it, as did her budding friendship with a fellow psychic who takes her under her wing.

By 31st October, I was set and ready to go. The only problem was, as 1st November dawned, I was really dreading writing this book. The characters were all two-dimensional in my head, and the plot – which had initially been promising – had never progressed into being something which could excite me. I had the working day (1st November was a Tuesday) to come up with a plan and, by the end of the day, I had this sort-of-idea about someone who can see dead people.

Yes, I would describe the book I wrote in the end as The Sixth Sense meets Jacqueline Wilson – which I think is a reasonably bizarre combination. The spark of the idea was that this person (who I named Sam because I didn’t know initially what gender they were) could see ghosts, and it was making things really difficult at home. Not that home’s all that easy anyway, because her parents separated a year ago and now she’s finding her way around a broken home.

Of course, my worldbuilding is very important to me, and I love tying things in to my other books. Cue one of the main characters: Broughley Abbey – the stately home at the edge of the Lincolnshire Fens which I first introduced in The Devil’s Servant (short story published by Quill and Crow in Ravens and Roses), although the Duke of Broughley school was referenced in The Backwater. Broughley Abbey also features in my Histories trilogy and makes a fleeting appearance in the third instalment of The Rite Way, but these have yet to be shared with the wider world.

As I continued to write, I started to get to know the characters. Some of them remained a little 2D (but, hey! it's a first draft, so you have to cut me some slack!) but others grew into well-rounded and complex individuals. Finally, I added in the stranger with the chocolate-coloured eyes, and he brought things together very nicely for me, but I will admit that it was a surprise to me as well as Sam when he turned up!

By nature I’m a plantser (I had even awarded myself the Plantser badge before NaNoWriMo even began) but I can’t say I disliked having to pants this novel. It taught me a lot about me as a writer, not least that I don’t have to have* an exercise book for every project just to see it through from beginning to end!

*I’m likely to still have an exercise book wherever possible because, let’s face it, they’re an awesome instrument in the writer’s toolbox!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...