Skip to main content

September - A Recap

 September has been a busy month at Crowvus HQ. We have lost a beloved member of the team, published two books, closed our Tenth Ghost Story Competition, and we have blogged every single (work) day. It's been an absolutely roller-coaster. Still, we would like to thank you all for sharing it with us: for your kind words on the loss of Orlando; for your support on the launch of our new author's new book; for entrusting us with your words. Whether you've been a reader, a writer, or a spectator, we're glad you've share the road with us.

#HistFicThursdays - Bird in a Snare - N.L. Holmes - Q&A Guest Post

  


It's #HistFicThursdays again, and this week I'm thrilled to be sharing a Q&A post from award winning author, N.L. Holmes, as part of her Coffee Pot Book Club tour. Find out what research drew her into the world of Ancient Egypt, and the enduring appeal this time has for her...

Blurb

When Hani, an Egyptian diplomat under Akhenaten, is sent to investigate the murder of a useful bandit leader in Syria, he encounters corruption, tangled relationships, and yet more murder. His investigation is complicated by the new king’s religious reforms, which have struck Hani’s own family to the core. Hani’s mission is to amass enough evidence for his superiors to prosecute the wrongdoers despite the king’s protection—but not just every superior can be trusted. And maybe not even the king!

Winner of the 2020 Geoffrey Chaucer Award for historical fiction before 1750.

Bird in a Snare is available from Amazon UK - Amazon US - Amazon CA - Amazon AU - Barnes and Noble - Kobo - iBooks - Audio



Did you have a favourite resource for your research?
If so: what was it, and why?
I used so many research materials, I couldn’t point to one favorite. Perhaps you could say that Ancient Egyptian Literature, vol. II, translated by Miriam Lichtheim, was one of my most useful sources, because the titles of all the books are quotes from some piece of ancient literature—the Book of the Dead, a hymn, an aphorism. In the case of Bird in a Snare, the title comes from the Amarna Letters, an archive of diplomatic correspondences. The fictional Hani is a writer of aphorisms, and they’re all real—written by a guy named Ani, so I’ve conflated the two men. I had the advantage of a fair amount of general professional knowledge about this time and place because I had taught a course on Ancient Egypt for years, but there was a lot of refining of specifics, for example, details about a particular profession, that I needed to do. I think the real reason I moved from teaching to writing historical fiction is so I could continue to do research when I retired!

What is it about this time period which inspired you to set you book then?
I knew from my teaching experience that ancient Egypt has a lot of fans, and the period during and after the reign of Akhenaten is a particularly fascinating one. Many people know at least the names of the “heretic pharaoh” and his beautiful wife Nefertiti. The religious, economic and social changes introduced by this king are almost unimaginably disruptive, and I wanted to capture some of that impact on people’s everyday lives as well as on foreign policy. But it’s an interesting moment also for what we don’t know about it. Akhenaten was expunged from the historical record by his successors, so we didn’t even know he existed before the end of the nineteenth century, and we’re only just now starting to reconstruct events of his reign. We don’t even know who the kings are who follow him. Scholars are all over the place in their theories, and the author can thus pick her version of history and embroider at will, as long as she doesn’t transgress any of the facts we actually know for sure.

As historical fiction writers, we tend to imagine ourselves in the time we’re writing.
If you could go back to this time period, what do you imagine yourself doing?
Realistically speaking, I’d probably be a “lady of the house” like most women. But since I’m a working-class kind of gal, I’d like to be some sort of creative artisan like Maya’s mother, a goldsmith. I actually did silver-smithing when I was a teenager! Or maybe a seshet, a female scribe, unusual though that would be. Hani’s daughter Neferet learns to read and write, but she becomes a doctor, and I’m not sure that’s up my alley. The fact is, Egypt was one of the better places to be a woman in antiquity. They had more or less equal rights and could divorce if they found themselves in a bad marriage. Maybe I’d become the head “man” of my village—that really happened sometimes.

Now, let's meet the author:
N.L. Holmes is the pen name of a professional archaeologist who received her doctorate from Bryn Mawr College. She has excavated in Greece and in Israel and taught ancient history and humanities at the university level for many years. She has always had a passion for books, and in childhood, she and her cousin (also a writer today) used to write stories for fun.

You can follow N.L. Holmes on these links:

Keep up with the rest of the Bird in a Snare tour stops by clicking on the banner below:

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for hosting the blog tour for Bird in a Snare.
    All the best,
    Mary Anne
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...