Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

"Through Time to London" by Brindy Wilcox

What started as a normal day for Brandy & Brinkley changed beyond anything they dreamed of when Jed visited. The two spaniels were used to having little adventures every time they left the house, but nothing prepared them for that morning. 
1665 London was a dangerous place for dogs, so when the two brothers found themselves suddenly in the middle of the plague-ridden city it was a race against time to escape the clutches of the street dogs, the perils of the rats and the dangers of the dogcatchers. 
Would they be able to survive in their new surroundings and would they be able to find their way back to the safety of their own home?
Through Time to London is the first in a series that follows the adventures of Brandy and Brinkley, two time-travelling Cavalier Spaniels, who are met with new challenges in their search for the way home.



Firstly, I love dogs! I have a spaniel - a cheeky Sprocker by name of Orlando - so I love reading and hearing about the adventures of other dogs, fictional or otherwise.

Both the main characters were very well developed which isn't an easy think when they aren't humans. The author clearly understands the dog world and was able to bring it to life with stunningly true representations of doggy mindsets and likes and dislikes. I knew what Brandy and Brinkley were like from the 2nd Chapter onwards.

Aside from being able to talk to each other, the author didn't make the characters too human which is a trap so many people fall into. They were still dogs: they acted like it.

I couldn't really bear some parts of the story. I acknowledge that this is my problem because I'm very sensitive where animals are concerned. In the books I read, no serious harm is allowed to come to animals, old people or young children. It upset me that the dogs were sad in parts of this book, but I accept it was needed for the storyline.

The one thing that I really didn't like about the book was Jed. Wow! What a nasty man! And I don't think he was supposed to be. There are many many problems I have with him, but I can't go into details here without giving huge parts of the story away. Let's just say that if he dared to put Orlando in the position that he put Brinkley and Brandy in, then he would have to find a good place to hide!

Jed made an excellent 'baddy', but a very bad 'goody'.

I liked that subtle little hints at historic events were prevalent throughout the book. I did, however, find myself pondering over one thing. I remember from when I was little, we went to Eyam. I also remember being told that the plague was carried to Eyam by a bolt of cloth which was wet so the tailor hung it by the fire to dry. I remember being told that the next day, he was dead. I remember it vividly because it's such a disturbing story for children to be told. I liked the connection with Eyam in the book, but if the plague carried on the cloth was so strong to have killed the tailor in a day, surely the two dogs would have caught the plague and possibly even given it to Grampy?

But, aside from these small points, the book was very fast-paced which is just my sort of thing, and I enjoyed the development of the canine characters!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...