As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...
Day 5 - Your Target Audience
It's Day 5 of NaNoWriMo, and I'm still keeping my word count on target. Ok, so I didn't do well yesterday, but I made up for it today so I'm still on track to finish on the 30th November.
So...your target audience...
![]() |
| From Pexels |
Because readers tend to conform to one of many groups, it makes writing for them a lot easier. If you're writing a romance novel, you should know that people who enjoy reading romance books will be expecting a happy ending, at least for our star couple. If you don't give the reader what they are wanting, this could end in dissatisfied customers or bad reviews.
When you're writing, think about who you'd like to read your book. I don't mean family and friends. I mean people that you don't know. Think about what they might be like, and what they like to read. You can do this by creating a reader profile, to help you understand what they're expecting from your book.
Create a Reader Profile - answer the questions you think are relevant.
- What is their job?
- Why do they like to read?
- Where do they read?
- What family do they have?
- How old are they?
- What are their hobbies?
- What is their socioeconomic status?
- What was their favourite subject in school?
Beta Readers
![]() |
| Photo by picjumbo.com from Pexels |
Make sure that you get your target audience to be beta readers for your book. Beta readers are people who read the book pre-publication to give their opinion on it. They are a vital component of any book, but especially important for self-publishers.
It's important to make sure that your beta readers are picked from your target audience because those are the opinions that matter.
For more info on Beta Readers, wait for Day 15 "Choosing Your First Reader".
Knowing your target audience will, not only help your writing, but will also really help with marketing. You'll know where to advertise your book and your book launch.
Clemency Crow
www.crowvus.com


Comments
Post a Comment