Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

#HistFicThursdays - Inspirational Series: The Tudors

Sir Thomas More by Hals Holbein
(Accessed via Wikipedia)

 During lockdown, we had Time. Remember that? I was in my probationary year of teaching: almost certainly among the most exhausting years for any profession. All my time had been taken up with school work, and I regularly stayed at school until after 6pm, having arrived there at eight in the morning. Now, children, this is not sustainable and, very soon, I decided I didn’t like working where I was. Then I realised that I didn’t like teaching at all. But, in fact, neither was particularly true: I just needed to be true to myself and to say no, which would give me the ability to manage my work/life balance in a more appropriate way.

What does this have to do with historical fiction, I hear you say? Well, during March 2020, we went into lockdown and suddenly I went from working ten-hour-days to ten-hour-weeks. I met up with my class on Google Meet, I put work up for them on a meticulously designed Google Classroom, but I just had so much more time.

Virginia, Clemency and I played games every day. We had first of all Cluedo, then Monopoly, then Game of Life set up on the table in the railway room (the spare room which was supposed to house Dad’s model railway). Eventually, we settled on Munchkin, perhaps one of the greatest board games ever, and we played several games every day.  We used our daily allocated exercise time to either walk the dog or go down to the allotment. Sometimes, we’d sneakily do both providing we couldn’t be cross-contaminating anyone!

Mum’s birthday present that year was a pond which we dug from scratch in the garden, taking time out from the hard work to play with water pistols. I can’t imagine doing that in a town garden now – I would feel so conspicuous – but back then it didn’t matter.

Every afternoon, I would go upstairs to my attic bedroom, pull the blind down across the Velux window, and take a nap. I’m not even much of a napper, but it became part of my daily routine throughout the months of that first lockdown.

But, still, there was Time. My days had been painfully and impossibly stretched by my abandonment of a work/life balance, and now I had extra hours in the day to fill. So, I began to binge watch things. I started with The Tudors.

Prior to lockdown, I had only ever watched one episode of this series but, within a couple of episodes, I was hooked. I love characters more than plot, so the way that the series followed the relationships between individuals made it a must-finish series. There’s great chemistry between many of the characters, and the bromance between Henry and the Duke of Suffolk is better than any of the physical relationships which take place in the series. I have to admit, I was less keen on the final series, which I felt went a little more into shock-and-gore than the others. Of course, it was a violent era but, despite being not very squeamish, the depiction of the hanging, drawing and quartering of Francis Dereham took the graphicness too far for me.

There were also historical inaccuracies: the main one which comes to mind is Margaret and Mary Tudor being mashed up in a pot together and churned out as someone who is not particularly like either of them.

But this was the series into which I inserted Walter Cavendish and his story: Passing Bell.

Sir Thomas More, excellently played (in my opinion) by Jeremy Northam, appears in the story. He is not simply the historical figure: he is the historical figure as portrayed by Jeremy Northam. Natalie Dormer plays Anne Boleyn in the story too – a clever and scheming individual, rather than the sadder, more innocent and immature, portrayal by Claire Foy in Wolf Hall. When I wrote the fate of Father Matthew (which is not actually referenced in Passing Bell), I could see Jonathan Rhys Meyers as King Henry pleading with him to change his stance. My Henry was, I hope, a 3D character, akin to the one portrayed in The Tudors.

Having seen the characters playing out in front of me, I didn’t find it too difficult to develop my story around it and, although Walter’s tale is new and different, there are elements of the secondary characters which owe aspects of themselves to The Tudors. I am ready to watch the series again, to see how accurate my memory of the character depictions were, but next time I might just stop after the penultimate series!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...