Skip to main content

"Did you see it?" - Ghost Story Last Call

Will your story be in our tenth anthology? ... Four words which created a legendary story ... -~-~- Picture this: a mother and her four children walking through the streets of Edinburgh as the night begins to close in. They are looking for a room for the night, but each house is full. The stone buildings seem to grow darker as the streetlamps throw out as much shadow as light. Finally, one of the proprietors offers a positive response and the family hurry inside, into a cramped room with metal bunkbeds, but nonetheless comfy mattresses. Frightened at these new surroundings, concerned that she has brought her children into an unsafe surrounding, the mother puts the children to bed and tries to persuade herself to sleep. The room inside is darker than the putrid orange glow of the sporadic streetlights in the world beyond the curtains which are masking the window, and she once more checks the lock on the door before climbing into her own bed. Then it happens. Knock-knock-knock. Willing h...

#MGMonday... Middle Grade Settings

 Middle Grade Settings: An Introduction

Having photos in front of you can help you write about your settings


I’m going to make a confession. Settings are not something I often spend time planning. Perhaps my stories are the poorer for it, but the settings come as I’m writing or editing. The Glass Room, in Taking Wing, is not something I planned before I started writing. Personally, I’m a very visual writer, seeing my characters as though they are a video in my head, and I write what I see. As such, the setting just happens!

There are benefits and drawbacks to this. The main benefit is that the writing process is more interesting. Not everything is set, and my story can still give me surprises. The drawback is that, similar to AI, I cannot know that I’m not stealing settings from films and books I’ve seen/read previously. I certainly don’t mean to plagiarise but the concern is a real one!

With that in mind, I have started to at least have a vague idea of my settings before I start typing.


How much time should I spend on writing setting descriptions in Middle Grade?

Generally, I would not spend more time than necessary on descriptions, but then I’m more of a C S Lewis than a J R R Tolkien. The plot, to me, is more important than the language. Is it really integral to the story to know that there are five pine chairs around a shabby chic table?

So, how much is necessary? The reader needs to know where they are: are they in a house, a cathedral, a tundra…

The unusual aspects of the setting also need to be mentioned. Perhaps there’s a skull on the mantelpiece (I’d say that’s pretty unusual!) or a flight of stairs that lead to nowhere. These sort of comments, even if they don’t come into the story later, can give a view of the characters that live there. What sort of person has stairs leading nowhere? My initial reaction is that it could be a magician with a secret magic room at the top, only visible to those who know the password. Am I getting carried away? Quite possibly.


How to avoid the White Room?

The ‘White Room Syndrome’ is a problem many writers have of not providing any descriptions so that your characters may as well be in a white room. The reader has no idea what the surroundings look like.

A good exercise is to read your chapter to a friend, and get them to sketch out how they see it. If it is completely different to what you imagined, then you know you need to go into more detail.

Here’s a great video from one of my favourite Youtube groups about the effect of bad setting description:



The #1 Tip for Writing Settings

If you remember anything from this blog post, then remember this one thing…

(Yes, I am aware that, should this be a comedy, your computer would crash at this moment and you wouldn’t find out the most important of all settings tips!)


When writing setting descriptions, don’t just write what you see. You’ve probably heard this before, but sounds and smells are of vital importance when attempting to immerse the reader in the story. Touch, perhaps, as you brush against leaves or feel coarse sand between your toes. Taste, yeah, not so much!


Schedule

Every third Monday, I’ll post another setting-relation post on this blog. The schedule, to make sure I keep up with my goals, is here:


17/2/25     Setting Inspiration

17/3/25     Writing a Different Planet

21/4/25           Creating a World

19/5/25     Seasons and Keeping Track of Time

16/6/25     A Magical Setting

21/7/25            Writing Real Places You Haven’t Been To

18/8/25     Setting your Story in the Past

15/9/25     Writing Where you Live

20/10/25     Writing Settings to Invoke Fear

17/11/25     Isolation: Writing with Just One Character

15/12/25     Using Mythical Places


What’s New With Crowvus?

We have been busy writing to-do lists! We have written our lists for our first two releases this year (Sir Louis Curlewy on 21st April, and Doorway to the Sunset on 4th July). One of the main things we're looking for is to get as many reviews as possible for both books. If you would like to be part of the book launch team for either book, and would like a free ebook in return for an honest review on as many platforms as possible, then please get in touch by emailing

the_team@crowvus.com

Reviews are worth their wait in gold for authors!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...