Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

#MGMonday: #BookReview for "The Tale of Truthwater Lake" by Emma Carroll

 The Tale of Truthwater Lake

by Emma Carroll


This book marks my first book review for Middle Grade Mondays. I wish I could do more reading, but I work four days a week, and I'm crazy enough to be doing a science degree, and setting unrealistic New Year goals at the same time!

This book, however, I read in no more than 24 hours. Not that it's a short book. It is a good length for a middle grade novel, but I became more and more invested in the characters the more I read.

Why did I choose this book?

I bought this signed copy some time ago from an online independent bookshop. I can't remember exactly what had happened, but the shop had posted that they had somehow been disadvantaged and, as I know how difficult it is to be an independent business in the book world, I wanted to support them.

I searched through their booklist, and decided this book was the one that most appealed to me.

I do love beautiful chapter headings!

What is the book about?

The book begins in the not-too-distant future, when the world has altered because of climate change. The main character, Polly, is interested in swimming but not very good at it. When she and her brother go to visit their aunt in the country, Polly investigates a reservoir which is drying up in the heatwave. While swimming, she finds herself being pulled towards the lost village beneath the water, and becomes a girl from the 1950s. This new main character, Nellie, is a star swimmer and has a burning ambition to swim across the English Channel, although her hopes are dashed when a privileged boy from the neighbouring valley is chosen for a televised swim across to France.

The story follows these two main characters, one and the same, and yet so different, and details their friendships and their worries.

The Review

There is no doubt that this book is well written and presented. The dual narrative is told partly in present, and partly in past tense. While I struggled to get into the present tense, I appreciated why the author chose this method, and it worked well for the story.

The characters were all believable, and refreshingly different from each other. I didn't particularly like many of the characters, but that's real life, isn't it! You don't always like everyone! It was refreshing to have two main characters who were not portrayed as saints. I think my favourite character was Joel, and I felt rather sorry for him at various parts.

The author dealt with tragedy in the book extremely well, not just the obvious loss of a loved one, but the loss of a home and a way of life. I found myself distressed when I considered that it could be my home that is submerged in water because of people's greed. The anger and helplessness was painful, but excellently portrayed!

There was a little twist to the story, and I do love a good twist! I won't say much more about this part because I don't want to ruin any surprises!

I have read many wonderful books with dual timelines, and I am happy to class this book amongst them. However, I feel I would have enjoyed it more if it had not been a time travel story. The story did not lend itself to that science fiction element and left me with a few too many niggling doubts about how easily the character morphed into someone completely different. I would have felt happier for the story to have simply been a dual timeline that came together naturally towards the end.

However, it was a very good book, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in mid 20th century history, or rural issues. There are some very astute points made sensitively and delicately.




What's New with Crowvus?


It's all systems go right now for our upcoming children's non-fiction book "Sir Louis Curlewy" by Susan Crow. I can't show you the cover yet, because it hasn't been revealed, but it won't be long!
The illustrations are complete, the interior is formatted, the cover is finished, with the blurb... we have been so busy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...