Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Time, time, time...

This week, we finally managed to install our new (not new ) item of furniture - a mid-18th Century grandfather clock. It's not bright and shiny like more modern ones, but a dark oak with a warm patina which the beeswax polish is drawing out. In order to set it up, we had to do a certain amount of research - how to hang the pendulum, where the weight went on the endless chain - and it got me thinking... where and when did certain divisions of time come from? The time periods which I have written either had household clocks or didn't, I have not written novels from the time of their invention. Clocks have been around for a long time, and the obsession with measuring time in an ordered fashion dates back to at least  the ancient Sumerians. It was they who established a circular reading of time and, I imagine, the sixty seconds/minutes came about as much because it was an easy way to divide a circle as anything else. But it wasn't until much later that the precision of seconds ...

Agatha's Eyes - Rachel Aanstad - Qs&As


 Today is the first day in a series of interviews for the stories of the Historical Writers Forum anthology, To Wear a Heart So White. Our first interview is with Rachel Aanstad who is the author of the story, Agatha's Eyes. So let's meet Rachel and hear more about her story...


First of all, can you please tell us about yourself and your writing?

I’ve been fascinated by history since I was a little girl. My playtimes always involved pretending I was something like a priestess in Ancient Egypt or a Lady in Waiting at Queen Elizabeth I court. I was always interested in the lives of people who weren’t monarchs or wildly famous. 

Over the years I have been lucky to be able to explore a variety of careers. I worked as a radio DJ, a bookkeeper, an architect, an illustrator, a set designer, a Shakespeare director, a gardener, a teacher, a writer, and a medicinal herbalist. I have lived all over the US and traveled in Asia. All of these experiences have helped me be a better writer. These days I’m a happy homebody and I focus on research and writing. 


In relation to Agatha’s Eyes, where did your inspiration come from?

Well, this is a little personal but I’m currently dealing with health issues that require me to be home in bed most of the time. I was researching the ecclesiastical roles of women in the Middle Ages and learned about the lives of anchoresses. These were women who became attached to a specific parish church and never left. They become a living anchor for their community that tied the physical world to the divine. 

Given my current circumstances I found it very easy to imagine myself in that lifestyle. I love cozy mysteries but all those amateur sleuths are very active. They scurry all over town to solve crimes. I wondered if it was possible to write a mystery where the sleuth must rely completely on what she can learn from the confines of her own room. Would it be possible to solve a mystery without ever leaving your home?

St. Madelberte, Abbess of Maubeuge, being tempted by a demon while in prayer,
from a woodcut by Leonhard Beck (1517-1519)

Agatha’s Eyes is very much Agatha’s account of events. What are the biggest pros and cons of writing in a limited point of view?

The cons were many given that Agatha can’t leave her abode. It was very tempting to change the point of view to one of the more mobile characters but I wanted the reader to feel Agatha’s challenges. It is frustrating to be stuck in one place while important things are happening elsewhere. At the end of the story I wanted the reader to enjoy the satisfaction that comes from surmounting those limitations.


There’s clearly a lot of research gone into this story. Did you come across a particularly fabulous research gem?

Yes I am indebted to Dr. Justin Sledge and his YouTube channel Esoterica. He provides entertaining and historically rigorous lectures on a variety of faith-based and esoteric traditions. He has a wonderful series on female mystics that was very inspiring.


There are a lot of very different characters in this story. Was there a particular one which you liked or disliked? Why?

I was very fond of the gossipy Goodwife Applebottom. If there are future instalments of Agatha’s adventures the next story will probably focus on the goodwife and her many trials and tribulations.


Agatha’s Eyes has a very satisfactory ending – how important do you think it is to have closure at the end of a piece of crime writing?

I think for a cozy mystery a satisfying ending is essential. As writers we are asking the reader to go on a ride with us. They have no idea where we are taking them and they are entrusting us to make their time with us worthwhile. I want my readers to feel that their time was well spent and to feel empowered to surmount frustrating and scary situations in their own lives.


And finally, what’s next for you and your writing?

I’m currently writing a non-fiction book called Shakespeare’s Influences for Pen and Sword. This is my third book about Shakespeare’s plays. The other two are called A Midsummer Night's Dream Illustrated Handbook and Encyclopedia and A Bawdy Twelfth Night or What You Will Encyclopedia & Dramaturgical Handbook.

To Wear a Heart So White is available here on #KindleUnlimited

So let's meet the book...

A cost for every action, and a price for every deed.

The Historical Writers’ Forum proudly presents seven stories of Crime and Punishment, from across the ages. From an anchoress to a war hero; from Italy to Missouri; this anthology has a story for everyone.

Included stories are:

The Ignoble Defence - Virginia Crow

Agatha’s Eyes - Rachel Aanstad

A Pact Fulfilled - Eleanor Swift-Hook

Carte de Viste - Ronan Beckman

A Dish Served Cold - Brenda W. Clough

Shadows of the Adriatic - Tessa Floreano

A Dangerous Road - D. Apple


Now, lets meet the author...

Rachel Aanstad

R. K. Aanstad is a writer, artist, and historian. She lives in the Pacific Northwest surrounded by books, cats, and silly little dogs. She has a dollhouse kit company called Tilly Valley Miniatures and writes books about Shakespeare’s plays. She is currently writing Shakespeare’s Influences for Pen and Sword to be published in 2025.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...