Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Time, time, time...

This week, we finally managed to install our new (not new ) item of furniture - a mid-18th Century grandfather clock. It's not bright and shiny like more modern ones, but a dark oak with a warm patina which the beeswax polish is drawing out. In order to set it up, we had to do a certain amount of research - how to hang the pendulum, where the weight went on the endless chain - and it got me thinking... where and when did certain divisions of time come from? The time periods which I have written either had household clocks or didn't, I have not written novels from the time of their invention. Clocks have been around for a long time, and the obsession with measuring time in an ordered fashion dates back to at least  the ancient Sumerians. It was they who established a circular reading of time and, I imagine, the sixty seconds/minutes came about as much because it was an easy way to divide a circle as anything else. But it wasn't until much later that the precision of seconds ...

#HistFicThursdays - Writing to a Brief


 I'm not good at being told what to do. It's not just in writing, but in all walks of life. I don't mind guidelines - in fact, they can be very useful to creativity - but writing to someone else's criteria is another thing. So, back in 2021, when my sister Judith told me about Sapere Book's competition to write a series of books on one of their briefs, I initially ignored it. But then she said she would submit to their Age of Sail brief if I did the Medici/Borgia books. I was still on something of a high after the success of The Year We Lived, but equally stuck in a deadspot in terms of creating a book which could live up to it, so I agreed to have a go at it, the resulting story being Poisoned Pilgrimage.

My research took me far away from anything I had ever written creatively. Instead, I returned to my degree days and wrapped myself in the theology of the day. And it was good to be back! My set of stories was not selected by Sapere, but it didn't matter. It had been enough to take me onto a new journey and it also rekindled my love of church history in all its messy unpleasantness as well as its heavenward study.

The Savonarola Journals
Weighing in at approximately 150,000 words

The opening chapter for Poisoned Pilgrimage was accepted into the Embark journal and, during 2022, I kept a journal of research observations and commentaries on the life and works of Savonarola. Ironically, it was this dipping of my toe into the waters of nonfiction which gathered a lot of interest from fellow researchers, but at this point in time I have no plans to take it anywhere. I wrote it for myself about a man who became a fascination to me. One day, I intend to write a complete thesis on Savonarola as a medieval embodiment of Moses, but that is so far back on the boiler it's practically falling off!

The rejection letter I recieved from Sapere was very nice. I'm sure it was generic, but it invited me to submit to them once more and - being a glutton for punishment - I am doing exactly that. This time, I'm tackling the Age of Sail brief. My story is not a great match for the brief, so I'm not holding out much hope, but it will at least be heartfelt and characterful as it takes my own ancestors (anyone else here related to the Richardsons/Woods/Dances/Spurrels/Mariners from Aldeburgh?) on their seabound adventures.

So, Writers of Historical Fiction, it is worth having a crack at one - or more - of these briefs. You might not win, but what you will have is the start of a fabulous new adventure to explore. Don't be afraid to put your own slant upon each brief. Just remember: if you want to write it, someone will want to read it.

You can find the Sapere Books competition briefs here!

Happy writing!

[Incidentally, Judith never submitted her Age of Sail series in 2021, but this time she's already written the Gothic Mysteries - much more her sort of thing!]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...