Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

#HistFicThursdays - Dreams (or: Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth)

 It is a truism that writers' minds spring to life the moment we are nowhere near our computers. As soon as we are snuggled up in bed, beginning to drift off to sleep, the best plot twists and most amazing characters appear in our mind's eye. This is why I have an array of notebooks by my bed, as well as about six pens (just in case the first five don't work!), because I know I will not remember these details beyond the morning.

Be smart, writers: ready your notebooks!

Here is an example, and the story of how The Year We Lived came into existence...

There is only one thing more immersive than a good book. No, not a film. I love films, but there isn't that envelopment which you get when you read, when the pages reach out and hug you into their story's embrace. The only thing more encompassing is a dream. In dreams anything is possible: any world; any time; any person - the opportunities are limitless. The only problem is we don't get to choose them.

There are inevitably those dreams which are so boring you would never bring them to life, although these tend to be the ones which trick you over the following days as you try to remember what was real and what was dreamed.

There are recurring dreams, too. Ones where you go back to the same place or time as another dream and, even though you know in your dream that you've only ever dreamt this reality, it seems wholly believable at that moment.

But then there are the dreams which take you as far from everyday life as you could imagine. These are where those notebooks come in handy! Writers, you will never have the same dream as someone else. Whatever we dream is unique to us, even if these dreams are in the similar vein to someone elses, there will be something which makes it different.

November 2018 there was one such dream for me. I remember waking up and thinking how amazing that story-dream had been. I can't remember now whether I was a character in the dream, or only sitting on the sidelines and watching it all unfold, but I do remember thinking how amazing it would be as a story. I was keeping a sketch diary at the time and, over the following days, the sketches were all filled with scenes from that dream, eager to preserve the images so I could recreate them in my new book. Of course, I couldn't believe no one had come up with it before, so I looked around for anything which was remotely like it. Surely my subconscious could not have imagined such a story. But no, my imagination really was working overtime while I slept!

Five years down the line, and I am so grateful of that sketch book and all the notes I scribbled down. It's true that the plot developed out of the one I had dreamt, but its core remains true to the tale my mind told me.

Clemency laughs at me for the quantity of dream sequences I have in my writing - and I certainly do have quite a few - but looking at how inspiring they have been in my own life, why wouldn't I?!

Top Tip: Find a notebook and keep it beside your bed. You can jot down the occasional story idea which comes to you in a dream, or you could even have a go at keeping a dream diary. Your next story idea could be waiting there in your subconscious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...