Skip to main content

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

#HistFicThursdays - The Shadow Earl - Stella Riley - Book Snippet

 

 This week for #HistFicThursdays, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with The Coffee Pot Book Club for author Stella Riley's blog tour! Today, I'm sharing an excerpt from her brilliant new book, The Shadow Earl!

First of all, let's meet the book...

At the end of his Grand Tour, somewhere between Athens and Constantinople, Christian Selwyn, the young Earl of Hazelmere, vanished - seemingly without a trace.

Time passes.  In London, his uncle and cousin move into his home … while his unofficial fiancée, Sophia, is left desolate and in limbo.  Finally, his friends – loyal and close as brothers – set out to search in person.  

Christian’s startling re-appearance at a grand ball takes society by storm and fuels endless speculation. Where has he been during these three missing years? What happened to him?  

And more importantly, how did it happen?  

Only one thing is clear.  The earl who left England five years ago, has returned a changed man.  A man with secrets.

You can buy The Shadow Earl via this Universal Link

And here's a snippet to whet your appetite:

Kit & Sophie begin to rediscover their former relationship

Laughter warmed his eyes, the sun burnished his hair … and, for the first time, they were talking together as they used to do. Without warning, tears clogged Sophia’s throat and spilled over her lashes and, before she could stop herself, all the words she’d forbidden herself to say came tumbling out.

‘I missed you – and missed you and m-missed you! Every day, every hour – all the time and so much.  It was bearable while you were  making the Tour because I had your letters.  But afterwards … afterwards, I had nothing. There was a great black space inside me and all around me that grew and grew and never went away.  When I began to realise I might never see you again, I wanted … I wanted – ’ She stopped abruptly and, instead of finishing the sentence, hauled in a shuddering breath. ‘And then, without any warning – just when I’d finally given up hope – you appeared from nowhere, smiled politely and said Sorry I’m late.  And I w-wanted to hit you.’

‘You should have done.  No one would have blamed you.  Certainly not I.’

But she shook her head,  mumbling, ‘I’m sorry. I ought not to have said any of that – it was foolish of me.  I know it was w-worse for you.’

Throughout her outburst, Christian sat like a stone feeling something carving a hole in his chest.  He knew what he should do but wasn’t sure he could do it.  Then, telling himself not to be so feeble, he crossed the blanket and took her in his arms.  As soon as he touched her, she turned and burrowed into his chest, one hand clutching his upper arm through his shirt-sleeve.  He said simply, ‘Don’t apologise to me, Sophie-Rose.  I’m the one who should be sorry – and I am.  This whole debacle would have been avoided if I’d just turned back after Athens.  But I didn’t … and we’ve both had to live with the consequences.’

Her voice muffled against his throat, she said, ‘You couldn’t have known.’

‘No.  I couldn’t.  But that doesn’t make it better.  You’ve every right to be angry.  And you should be.’

 Now, let's meet the author:

Winner of four gold medals for historical romance (Readers' Favourite in 2019, Book Excellence Awards in 2020, Global Book Awards in 2022 and Book Excellence Award in 2023) and fifteen B.R.A.G. Medallions, Stella Riley lives in the beautiful medieval town of Sandwich in Kent.

She is fascinated by the English Civil Wars and has written six books set in that period. These, like the 7 book Rockliffe series (recommended in The Times newspaper!) and the Brandon Brothers trilogy, are all available in audio, narrated by Alex Wyndham.

Stella enjoys travel, reading, theatre, Baroque music and playing the harpsichord.  She also has a fondness for men with long hair - hence her 17th and 18th century heroes.

You can find Stella on these links:

To follow the rest of the The Shadow Earl tour, click on the banner below:

Comments

  1. Thank you very much for hosting Stella Riley with The Shadow Earl today.

    Cathie xx
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...