Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - A Silent Romance Amongst Words - Free Short Story

I don't often write romance, but this short story is perhaps the exception to prove the rule. A Silent Romance Amongst Words  was written for the Books and Borrowing  project, and did rather well 😊 It was inspired by the loan sheet from Innerpeffray Library - a venue which held one of my book launches way back in 2017! If you would rather, you can read it in-situ here !  A Silent Romance Amongst Words It had been a long winter. Kitty Duff’s hand rested on the books in her lap, willing herself to believe in them. It had been almost four months since Mister Grenville had recommended them to her. She could still remember his expression. He had smiled, a squint smile which had allowed it to remain hidden from Kitty’s chaperons. That week, they had been her guardian’s gardeners, who had as little interest in books as any men could. She had picked out volumes for them, recommending books with enough pretence of interest to satisfy them. But her books had been chosen very carefully. She

#HistFicThursdays - COMING SOON: The Folly at Raighvan Park - Judith Crow - Guest Post


Today, I'm so excited to introduce a book which is being launched next week at Sutherland Show (22nd July): The Folly at Raighvan Park by Judith Crow! Here's a little sneak peek at this upcoming release and a couple of its characters...

First of all, let's meet the book...

Blurb

Desperate to escape memories of a devastating railway accident, Lord Stretton accepts an invitation to Raighvan Park, the home of his childhood friend, Sir David Joyce.

But Stretton discovers that Raighvan Park is not the safe haven he had been seeking. The ghosts which have haunted him since the accident seem to have followed him, and the situation grows darker when human remains are discovered at Sir David’s proposed folly.

Are the ghosts of the accident still stalking him? Or is there something more sinister at work at Raighvan Park?

Guest Post

All the Gothic Horror I've written features - to different extents - an unreliable narrator. In The Devil's Servant, Reuben Fancroft is an old man suffering from dementia; in The Lady Who Dances in the Ashes, Lockman is haunted by the events of the story... 

Lord Stretton is also a haunted man. Throughout the story, there are glimpses of the man he used to be, but his experiences in the first part of the book change him forever. Stretton is a man driven by regret, and it is this regret which sparks the darkness following him throughout the story.

But no amount of care could assuage my guilt at being responsible for so many deaths, and my feverish mind wandered repeatedly back to the nurse who had died in my arms. I bought medical and surgical books and pored over them, attempting to understand what I could have done differently, and convincing myself she would have survived if I had been a medically competent man. My mother did everything in her power to reassure me that I had done nothing wrong but, knowing her maternal bias, I could not believe her.

The main contrast in terms of characters is with his valet, Davis, who provides a constant support to his employer. While Stretton is haunted by darkness, Davis offers practicality which allows slivers of light into Stretton's world. 

The thought of travelling on the railway was deeply unsettling. Each jerk brought a sickening lurch to my stomach and every moment when we slowed down took me back to the brakes of the two ill-fated engines. As we passed through a tunnel, I closed my eyes, certain I would never see daylight again and, when I opened them, I realised I must have fallen asleep or else fainted, as Davis was shaking my shoulder and trying to encourage me to disembark.

I rubbed my eyes and looked out of the window onto the bustling platform, allowing a warming sense of relief to burst through my body at having survived the journey. I left the train with a spring in my step, and Davis and I travelled together in the carriage which Sir David had sent for us.

“It’s beautiful,” I heard myself whisper. I did not know what made it so: it was not remarkable scenery at all, but the gentleness of the low-lying hills and the signs of industry brought a reality back into my life which had been missing since North Drystan.

“Tame, sir,” Davis replied.

I knew what he meant. It was innocent: full of gently rolling hills washing the landscape like the sea on a calm day.

I always find that the characters who are experiencing a "real" experience during a horror story or film are the ones which make it really terrifying. It's how you can believe that these creepy events could really happen... Hopefully Davis goes some way to making readers believe that Stretton's nightmares could really have stalked from Victorian Norfolk to the gentle hills of Leicestershire.

I always find that the characters who are experiencing a "real" occurrence during a horror story or film are the ones which make it really terrifying. It's how you can believe that these creepy events could really happen... Hopefully Davis goes some way to making readers believe that Stretton's nightmares could really have stalked from Victorian Norfolk to the gentle hills of Leicestershire.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - Gearing up to this Year's Big Event - #HistFicMay

 After the fabulous fun and friendship of last year's #HistFicMay, I have decided to run the risk of doing it again! I'm sure that this year will be even better  than last year! So here's your heads-up of what you can expect from this year's online historical fiction event! I will be looking out for posts on BluSky , Facebook , Instagram , Threads , and Twitter , and I can't wait to reconnect with familiar faces and meet new friends too! Just like last year, every day will have a prompt. You can schedule posts or post them on the day. You can use pictures or use the #HistFicMay prompt image instead. Really, you can post anything which links to the prompt! And speaking of prompts, here they are: Introduce yourself Introduce your writing Which writer(s) most inspire(s) you? Favourite quote from your writing Introduce your MC You take your MC to dinner - what do you talk about? Self-destructing hero of redeemable villain? Who (if anyone) is your MC based on? Would you

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac