Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

#HistFicThursdays - A Little Horror!

I know we’re nowhere near Halloween but, let’s be honest, every season is spooky season if you want it to be! So, I’m going to share some thoughts about one of my favourite genres to read and write: Gothic Horror.


I first discovered it as a genre when I was a teenager being taught at home. Every week, Dad would take me and my sister to the local library and we would pick a book or two to read. One week, I picked an abridged version of Dracula. I loved it so much that I immediately graduated onto the full version, before moving on to The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe.

There was something about these stories which completely immersed my imagination, and I think it was how setting is always an extra character in them. I read a piece a couple of weeks ago which was labelled as Gothic, but the setting wasn’t right. It didn’t jump out as one of the characters in the book which was twisting and turning as much as any of the humans (or not-quite-humans!)

Whitby is rightly proud of its connection with Dracula, but there is only a part of the book which is set there. Still, the ruins of the abbey always evoke that sense of the vampire, especially when it is pictured against the backdrop of the sea and sky at one of the liminal points of the day.


What does it evoke in your imagination?
 

When I write Gothic Horror, the setting is always of the utmost importance. In fact, I usually have the setting before I have the main characters. In The Devil’s Servant (published by Quill & Crow in their anthology, Ravens & Roses: A Women’s Gothic Anthology), the main character immediately celebrates the lively setting of the Crystal Palace:

“There is something of writing about those days which evokes memory in each one of my senses: neither sight nor sound more permeating than the recollection of the scent of so many people thronging together to ogle and admire the vision which was the Great Exhibition, or the taste of food snatched when possible between meetings with one genius or another.”

However, as the story moves on, it takes the reader to Broughley Abbey, an altogether less ‘modern’ place. This is why many writers (including me!) still opt to set their Gothic Horror stories in the Victorian era, because it was a time when modern and ancient were meeting in the everyday. Just like Whitby Abbey at sunset, the 19th century was a liminal point in history for this reason.

By way of comparison to the Crystal Palace, here is a description of Broughley Abbey:

“I took in the magnificent view of the house and the haunting ruins of the abbey in the grounds, and I wondered that Giles spent so little time in such a place. Indeed, my imaginings led me to lose track of time, and I hurried back to the house as dusk was beginning to fall around me and the sky was becoming busy with a host of bats whisking their way over my head.”

Notice the darker undertones and the setting of the house at dusk as the narrator views it alone? It could not be any more different from the Great Exhibition. I’m not even sorry for engaging the age-old trope of bats representing darkness. There are some things which are just too Gothic to be omitted!

 

Broughley Abbey has its own stories, which appear in many of my books, although The Devil’s Servant is still the only one which is currently Out There. However, other places which I have enjoyed creating include Hedgwick Grange (The Lady Who Dances in the Ashes published by Sley House Publishing in Tales of Sley House 2022); Stretton Hall and Raighvan Park (The Grey Lady); and Priest’s Acre (Death at Priest’s Acre).

I love naming them: once they have a name, they become real, three-dimensional places which I can see and explore in my mind. I know where the ghosts are hiding, where the skeletons are buried, and I also know there are still secrets for me and my readers to discover.

 

I hope this little blog has given you some food for thought about the importance of setting in Gothic Horror. Feel free to send me any suggestions for reading, and of course I would encourage you to explore the two stories I have mentioned as being Out There!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...