Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Things to Inspire - Artwork

 This month's #HistFicThursdays have been all art-inspired, so I'm sticking with that theme! A couple of months ago, the Things to Inspire  blog was about sketches . Today's is about finished pieces of artwork! Artwork has been an inspiration for millions of people across thousands of years. Just like a book, the finished product can (hopefully!) be an inspiration. Over the years, we've collected one or two pieces of old artworks, and these are a few... Religious artwork has always been used as an inspiration and, historically, this was how the majority of people interacted with biblical stories. This was a barn find - probably created for someone's own interest judging by the naive style of artwork. It looks like it might have been from a panelled wall at some point. I wonder what happened to the rest of the panels and what story they might show when they are all together... Of course, not all artworks are paintings! Here is a scrimshaw of the Battle of Flamborough

#HistFicThursdays - The Story of Wintercombe - Pamela Belle - Guest Post: Building Locations

Today, for my #HistFicThursdays blog, I'm delighted to be sharing a guest post from Pamela Belle as she introduces the world of Wintercombe, the setting for her series of books.


The Story of Wintercombe

I’ve always loved old houses, especially those built in the mediaeval and Tudor periods – somehow, Georgian grandeur just doesn’t do it for me. Elizabeth Bennet may have fallen in love with Pemberley, but I’d just think about all that chilly marble flooring and those high ceilings, and how difficult it would be to heat, never mind the dusting.

Rushbrooke Hall in Suffolk, taken in
 the 1940s

For my first historical novels, I was inspired by Rushbrooke, the house, alas no longer standing, where my mother had lived as a small child, another, similar house called Kentwell Hall, and also the perfect pocket mediaeval manor, Stokesay, in Shropshire. I had four books under my belt, and was looking for a subject for another. Then I went to stay with a friend who had just moved to Wiltshire. She took me for a drive, one chilly February morning, and said, ‘You simply must see this fabulous house.’ We drove down narrow country lanes, and pulled up outside Great Chalfield Manor, one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen. 

The entrance front of Great Chalfield Manor in Wiltshire
Ancient, gabled, built of the local golden-grey stone, it spoke to me of a hundred secret stories – at least one of which, I wanted to tell.

Great Chalfield, looking over the moat and gardens.


In the summer, when it was open to the public (it’s owned by the National Trust), I went back, and wandered round the house and gardens, entranced by the terraces, the moat, the splendid Great Hall, and the listening masks in the walls high above, so that the lord, or the lady, could keep an eye and an ear on what was happening down below. It was the inspiration I had been looking for. Back at home, I read up on the history of the house, and found that it had hosted a garrison during the English Civil War – my favourite historical period, ever since I’d fallen in love with Prince Rupert at an impressionable age. Better and better – except that the owner of the house at the time had been an elderly widow. I wanted to write about a young woman with a family, so I used a novelist’s licence and picked up Great Chalfield and put it down in one of my favourite villages, Norton St. Philip in Somerset. I’d first visited it when I was a member of the King’s Army, doing a weekend re-enactment with my regiment in Wiltshire a few years before. On the Saturday, we’d all gone, in costume, to the George, and spent the evening singing Cavalier drinking songs in the main bar. There was a group of American tourists sitting in the corner, and I suspect they thought we put on the same show every night!

So I had my location – or so I thought, until I paid the village another visit in a wet November, and found that the field where I’d thought to put the house was two foot under flood water. Time for another look at the map, now with the actual landscape in front of me. The side of a low hill just outside Philip’s Norton (as it was known in the 17th century) was ideal. The village itself is beautiful, full of old houses which would have been standing during the Civil War, and the next stage in my research beckoned – to find out more about what it was like at that time. So off I went to the Somerset Record Office in Taunton – and there serendipity struck, because amongst their documents on Norton St Philip, there was a survey of the village made in the 1630s for Lord Craven, then the absentee Lord of the Manor.

The George at Norton St Philip
Every plot, every field, every house, every outbuilding, was listed, along with the name of the tenant, and they were all numbered: the map that had evidently once accompanied it was no longer extant, but using the survey, it was possible, and utterly fascinating, to reconstruct it, cross-referencing with the parish registers (which, in complete contrast to the beautifully written survey, looked as if a demented spider had control of the pen). By the time I’d finished, I had the names, addresses, families, social standing and, in many cases, occupations, of pretty much every tenant in Philip’s Norton during the Civil War period.

Naming the house took some thought. I wanted something that would sound poetic without being too unlikely. Even that took a lot of research in place-name volumes, and eventually, after several other considerations (I rejected Honeycombe as being far too twee), I settled on Wintercombe. Its most likely meaning was ‘valley of the vines’, which for a sunlit slope seemed appropriate and right. Above all, I wanted the world I was creating to be as accurate, plausible and convincing as possible.

Of course, the danger of all that in-depth research (which was indisputably the most interesting part of planning the book) was the temptation to show off with massive info-dumps at every available opportunity. I’ve always been a history geek, but I think research should be like an iceberg – the reader should only be able to see a small part of it, but what’s invisible stops the whole edifice capsizing. A lot of those details didn’t make it into the book, but almost all the servants of Wintercombe actually existed, and sometimes I was able to use clues in the documents to give me pointers to their characters. For instance Bessie Lyteman, the flirtatious dairymaid, was the mother of not one, but two, children born out of wedlock. And the villain of the piece, Lieutenant-Colonel Ridgeley, the Royalist officer in charge of the garrison, was also a real person, and to judge from contemporary accounts, just as unpleasant as I depicted him.

I was so captivated by the St Barbe family and their beautiful house that I couldn’t stop at just one book, so I wrote three sequels, taking their story through the later years of the 17th century (when Philip’s Norton was the scene of a skirmish in Monmouth’s rebellion, an opportunity that was far too good to ignore).

And how much of me is in the central character of Silence, the quiet, unassuming Puritan wife who finds so much courage and resourcefulness in adversity? Well, like her, I’m a gardener, with a gardener’s patience, and I love children, music and animals. Whether I’d have been as brave in those circumstances is a very moot point – as one of my friends was fond of saying, ‘cowards run in my family.’ But I can certainly identify with her more than with her vain, wilful granddaughter Louise, or even with her acerbic and intellectual niece Phoebe, and she remains one of my favourite creations.


Share in the Wintercombe adventure via #KindleUnlimited here: Amazon



Comments

  1. Fascinating absolutely fascinating! I LURVE the Wintercombe books. I went to see Great Chalfield last October

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cherish my hardcover copy of Wintercombe and am delighted to know more of its origins.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud