Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Time, time, time...

This week, we finally managed to install our new (not new ) item of furniture - a mid-18th Century grandfather clock. It's not bright and shiny like more modern ones, but a dark oak with a warm patina which the beeswax polish is drawing out. In order to set it up, we had to do a certain amount of research - how to hang the pendulum, where the weight went on the endless chain - and it got me thinking... where and when did certain divisions of time come from? The time periods which I have written either had household clocks or didn't, I have not written novels from the time of their invention. Clocks have been around for a long time, and the obsession with measuring time in an ordered fashion dates back to at least  the ancient Sumerians. It was they who established a circular reading of time and, I imagine, the sixty seconds/minutes came about as much because it was an easy way to divide a circle as anything else. But it wasn't until much later that the precision of seconds ...

#HistFicThursdays - Clement: The Templar's Treasure - Craig R. Hipkins - Guest Post

It's #HistFicThursdays again, and this week I'm thrilled to be sharing a guest post from Craig R. Hipkins, as part of his Coffee Pot Book Club tour. Find out what research drew him into the world of Clement and Dagena, Viking exploration, and linguistic adventures...


Blurb

Clement & Dagena return for another action packed adventure. From the cold and dreary shores of Greenland to the fabled land of Vinland. The legendary treasure of the Knights Templar awaits.

Clement: The Templar's Treasure is available via this Universal Link



Guest Post

Clement: The Templar’s Treasure is set in the middle of the 12th century. This was at the height of the age of chivalry when the troubadours sang their poetry and martial tournaments were the rage over all Europe. Although the first book in the Clement series concentrated on historical elements related to the continent, the second and third installments took Clement far away from the kingdoms of Europe. However, chivalry, a common theme in the series followed Clement to Greenland and then to North America.

I have always been fascinated by the Norse voyages of Erik the Red and Leif Erikson. I used the knowledge I have of them to good advantage in the book. The Norse sagas mention a land west of Greenland which Leif called ‘Vinland,’ where the wild grapes grew in abundance. I conveniently used this place as the final destination for Clement and his friends. I was aware of a theory that historians have debated for decades regarding the location of Vinland. Grapes do not grow anywhere the Norse were known to have explored. A possible solution to this conundrum is that Leif and his men had traveled as far south as Cape Cod in Massachusetts. It is here where there are cranberry bogs. It is therefore plausible that Leif mistook the cranberry as a wild grape. This theory makes sense, but absolute proof that Vinland and Cape Cod are the same is lacking.

Another topic that I researched while writing this novel involved the indigenous culture in Massachusetts Bay at this time. I did take a little literary license regarding the native tribes, as not much is known about the Wampanoag and Nipmuck nations before the English colonized Massachusetts in the early 17th century. It is from this time period that I immersed myself in reading. I studied the day-to-day existence of life in New England prior to European settlement and used this knowledge in great detail in my book. It was a bit of a challenge, but I took great pleasure in bringing these details to light. The Wampanoag and Nipmuck spoke a dialect of Algonquin, a language that is now all but extinct. However, certain words have survived through the generation and have made their way into the English lexicon. Of course, like any language, it is almost certain that the Algonquin tongue evolved over time and that the few words I took the liberty of using in the book probably did not exist in the 12th century. 

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the hours of research that I spent while working on Clement: The Templar’s Treasure. I hope that people will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. 


Now, let's meet the author:


Craig R. Hipkins grew up in Hubbardston Massachusetts. He is the author of medieval and gothic fiction. His novel, Adalbert is the sequel to Astrolabe written by his late twin brother Jay S. Hipkins (1968-2018) He is an avid long-distance runner and enjoys astronomy in his spare time.

You can follow Craig on these links:

Keep up with the rest of the Clement: The Templar's Treasure tour stops by clicking on the banner below:

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for hosting the blog tour for Clement: The Templar’s Treasure.
    All the best,
    Mary Anne
    The Coffee Pot Book Club

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...