Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Time, time, time...

This week, we finally managed to install our new (not new ) item of furniture - a mid-18th Century grandfather clock. It's not bright and shiny like more modern ones, but a dark oak with a warm patina which the beeswax polish is drawing out. In order to set it up, we had to do a certain amount of research - how to hang the pendulum, where the weight went on the endless chain - and it got me thinking... where and when did certain divisions of time come from? The time periods which I have written either had household clocks or didn't, I have not written novels from the time of their invention. Clocks have been around for a long time, and the obsession with measuring time in an ordered fashion dates back to at least  the ancient Sumerians. It was they who established a circular reading of time and, I imagine, the sixty seconds/minutes came about as much because it was an easy way to divide a circle as anything else. But it wasn't until much later that the precision of seconds ...

#HistFicThursdays - Horrible Histories 1

This Christmas holiday, we have found ourselves wandering around the house randomly singing snatches of songs from the genius that is Horrible Histories. This series of books-turned-TV-programmes is something which, until recently, I was never really interested in. I wasn't violently opposed to them, but I was exactly the wrong age for when they came out.

My sister had and read all the books, even the special editions. And then - the best part of twenty years later! - another sister began to introduce us to some of the songs from the programme. Still less than 100% convinced, it was pointed out to me that there was a song for every period in history. This sounded like a throwing down of the gauntlet, but they did indeed manage to find me the song fitting for my current project.

Here it is:

Since then, I've become something of a convert to the musical antics which were in the series and there hasn't been a day in the last month when I haven't woken up randomly singing a line from one of them!

The Borgia Family song certainly over-simplifies the slightly strange set-up which Pope Alexander VI had with his family, but it goes a long way towards introducing this topic to both a child and a newcomer (and, let's be honest, it is very irritating when people invade your personal space!). Although the Borgia family do eventually come into my book, I'm not quite there yet. Beyond what popular culture has put out there, particularly about Lucrezia, I didn't know much about them and I have to admit I found this song was exactly what I needed to whet my appetite and I leapt in with both feet to explore and research the intricacies and complicated relationships of this family.


Alexander VI's Coat of Arms
(Echando una mano)

This has provided a few problems of its own! Returning to normality and discovering that it was not in fact 1493 has been difficult. But I have had my deep love of both history and theology (the subjects of my degrees) rekindled by my research. The thing about authors living and breathing their work is that, as a historical fiction author, you always have to remind yourself that you have the gift of enabling time-travel without having all tricky parts of actually going back in time, but it comes at the expense of living life with a foot in the past as well as the present.

Still, love it or hate it, Horrible Histories certainly makes history accessible and it was enough to help my story to grow from a few vague ideas into a full-blown plot.

I aim to discuss one of these songs each month. Any requests, put them forward. Go on, historical fiction writers, try and find your Horrible Histories song - there's one for everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...