As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...
Today I just want to take the opportunity to wish you and your family and friends a very merry Christmas!
I love writing Christmas from the past. There is something simultaneously simplistic and exuberant about earlier Christmases, and it is a great opportunity to look into the emotive side of personal history. You can tell a lot about an historical person by looking at how they regarded Christmas.
So here is a couple of snippets from Beneath Black Clouds and White which show two very different Christmases: https://www.stompermcewan.com/beneath-black-clouds-and-white-christmas
And, if it catches your eye, the eBook is currently free on Smashwords.
Have a Very Merry Christmas, Historical Fiction Fans!
Columbia Titanium | T-Shirt | T-Shirt
ReplyDeleteShop our Columbia Titanium | T-Shirt from oakley titanium sunglasses the people does titanium tarnish who know best. $50.00; titanium ring for men $150.00; $120.00; microtouch titanium $120.00. $120.00. buy metal online $120.00. $120.00. $120.00. $120.00. $120.00.