One from my #Wordsworth250 celebrations Next Thursday (1st October) is National Poetry Day. Many years ago, I offered to illustrate favourite poems for anyone who wanted me to. I had a few people who took me up on this. I'm not sure how I managed to do it in the space of a week, but I was young then! This one was a fun commission! Poetry comes in all shapes and sizes. From tiny lines to grand epics. I have heard so many people telling me that they don't like poetry, but what they mean is that they don't like all poetry. There is always a poem which resonates with everyone whether because it carries nostalgia, inspiration, or wonder . It is fine not to like all poetry, in fact: it is right not to. We would never expect people to like all music, all films, all novels, or all artwork. You can appreciate the artistry within them without wanting to hear/see/read them!! It will come as no surprise to anyone that I love Romantic poetry. In both Day's Dying Glory and Beneath...
Blurb:
The arrival of a mysterious stranger in the happy village of Giggleswick causes a schism that disrupts their innocent, carefree existence. A brave, clever, freethinking boy then sets off on a quest to reveal the stranger’s deception and rescue his fellow villagers.
Review:
I thoroughly enjoyed it. To me, it had elements of The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning, both in content and style. The story is written in a kind of gentle poetry which is more about rhythm than rhyme and that makes it a wonderful thing to read aloud.
The Stranger of Wigglesworth is a picture book for older children. It states clearly on the cover that it is for Ages 6-11, and it's important to keep this in mind when reading it. There are a lot of words in here which littler children wouldn't understand, and some parts of the story are very dark. The only slight issue I had with it was that, on one single occasion, the illustrations got so dark that I struggled to see what was happening, but that didn't spoil the overall reading experience for me.
This is a book to be read aloud where possible - and definitely one to be shared!
Comments
Post a Comment