Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Things to Inspire - Religious Artefacts

 Writing historical fiction, it is impossible to ignore the overwhelming impact religion had on people's lives. It was not only the structure of organised religion, but the interwoven beliefs which dominated people's lives. Christianity, the religion which runs through most of my historical fiction, grew and survived with its ability to adapt as it spread from place to place and culture to culture, absorbing certain traditions as it powered on. I love Theology. I did my undergraduate degree in it, and it continues to remain a real interest of mine. I also love the idea of holding hands across history, seeing what my characters saw, and holding the same objects in my own hands as they or their peers did. Given the significance of religion and superstition throughout history, these things were common - although not necessarily accessible - and would have been understood by all. Religious iconography dominated Pre-Reformation Europe, speaking as a universal language to all. These

It's Launch Day! Honour's Rest by Judith Crow - Character Interview with Pendragon Devon

We at Crowvus are delighted to bring our newest story to the market!


Honour's Rest is a young adult magical realism, filled with danger and adventure, with a good dollop of self-sacrifice on the side.

We were lucky enough to persuade the main character of the book, Pendragon Devon, to come and answer some of our questions. Perhaps, after you've read the book yourself, you have a question for him too. Feel free to write your questions in the comments below.

Here's a bit of background on the Rite, for those who are unsure:

The Rite is definitely not magic (but really, it is, just don't tell Napier we said that). There are 2 ways of channelling the Rite, each having their own pros and cons, and it's not so clear-cut as to be good vs bad. But that's enough from us...let's hand over to Pendragon.

What is a Rendelf, and why is the job so important?

Because there are two different forms of the Rite, I think the Rendelf was set up to make sure peace was kept between the two sides. If you’re a Just Thaumaturge, you don’t necessarily have the ability to protect yourself from a Knave’s Thaumaturge and you need someone to stand up for you if that situation actually happens.
Knave’s Thaumaturges need someone to look out for them too – they’re statistically more likely to have problems with their own mental wellbeing and there needs to be someone there to support them.
It’s a peacekeeping job, which is pretty bizarre because there’s times when it definitely doesn’t seem that way. The Rendelf needs to be willing to put themselves between danger and the person who’s being threatened, which means they may have to take drastic measures.
But there’s a lot of the job which is meetings and administration, which is a lot less psychologically draining but very difficult to keep on top of. It does make sure that you don’t start believing the job’s too heroic though.

How did you learn about the Rite?

When my mum and dad sent me to live in Scotland to “finish my schooling”, I had an idea of what I was going to find there. For a start, I assumed that my uncle was a teacher, which seems like a reasonable expectation, to be honest!
Napier (my uncle) was very clear that he definitely wasn’t a teacher and I think that became even more obvious as I learnt about the Rite from him. Right from the start, he set impossibly high expectations and, every time I almost reached them, he’d raise them even further. I don’t remember many times that I was allowed to really relish the feeling of achievement!
Ok, now I feel horrible saying all that. I should point out that one of the most important lessons for a young thaumaturge is that each person is unique and the way they access the Rite is unique too.
That does mean it can be really lonely sometimes. I genuinely don’t think I’d have survived the past eighteen months without Marley.

How do you cope with home sickness?

Honestly? I don’t think I’ve actually learnt how to cope with homesickness yet – and my life is so weird that, wherever I am, I’m homesick. And the worst homesickness isn’t for a place – it’s for people.
When I first moved up to Honour’s Rest, I didn’t think I was ever going to get used to living anywhere other that Cheshire. I had a fairly clear idea of where my life was heading, and it certainly hasn’t worked out that way. I suppose this has left me not only missing my family home, but all the ideas I had about the future too.
The times when I cope best with homesickness are when I’m reminded how important the people around me are, whether that’s my family in Cheshire or my friends at Honour’s Rest. The worst times are when I’m on my own.

What would you say to anyone who is starting to learn the Rite?

Embrace it. It sounds like a cliché, but you’ve got a wonderful gift. I’d also say “don’t expect too much of yourself straight away”, but that’s a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. When I found out about the Rite, I challenged everything about myself, trying to prove that Napier, had made some mistake when he identified it in me. I couldn’t do this or that, so I obviously didn’t have the Rite. But it’s the practice that makes it something you can control and mould into whatever you want it to be. Don’t despair! (He says, probably despairing.)

Hopefully, this has tickled those reading tastebuds enough to encourage you to read the book. You can buy the book directly from us here, or purchase it through Amazon Smile. Either way, we just know you'll love it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac