Skip to main content

"Did you see it?" - Ghost Story Last Call

Will your story be in our tenth anthology? ... Four words which created a legendary story ... -~-~- Picture this: a mother and her four children walking through the streets of Edinburgh as the night begins to close in. They are looking for a room for the night, but each house is full. The stone buildings seem to grow darker as the streetlamps throw out as much shadow as light. Finally, one of the proprietors offers a positive response and the family hurry inside, into a cramped room with metal bunkbeds, but nonetheless comfy mattresses. Frightened at these new surroundings, concerned that she has brought her children into an unsafe surrounding, the mother puts the children to bed and tries to persuade herself to sleep. The room inside is darker than the putrid orange glow of the sporadic streetlights in the world beyond the curtains which are masking the window, and she once more checks the lock on the door before climbing into her own bed. Then it happens. Knock-knock-knock. Willing h...

#IndieApril Craggy the Coo: Nicol's #ShareYourShelf blog!

I was warned ahead of this week that the theme of one of my blog posts would be “Share Your Shelf”. And, if I’m honest, I’ve been putting this one off because it was always destined to out me as a nerd of the highest (or should that be lowest?) order.

My bedroom shelf contains very little in the way of fiction. It is largely stocked with books that have gathered more dust than an Egyptian mummy, and might one day find their way into a Museum of Nerdery.

Specifically, my shelf runneth over with titles relating to either Scottish history and geography, or to seabirds. In some cases, my books are dedicated specifically to Scottish seabirds. As a boy, I was obsessed with how many pairs of Manx shearwater bred on the Isle of Rum, or how many gannets occupied the Bass Rock as opposed to St Kilda or Ailsa Craig. I was consumed by a need to visit all of the major seabird colonies around our shores. Ailsa Craig regrettably remains on my bucket list, but if you haven’t set foot on Hirta or the Bass Rock, I can assure you you’re missing out!

The seabird obsession may be slightly less sociopathic these days, but it does linger. My debut book Craggy the Coo Wants a Place to Call Home was never going to be complete without the protagonist paying a visit to the puffins on Lunga in the Treshnish Isles. And, if a sequel follows, I’ve already pitched the idea that Craggy spends a little more time in the company of Scotland’s diverse wildlife.

The need to know everything about my native land – its past and present, its people and its places – has certainly played a role in crafting Craggy’s journey. And while many of the books on my shelf haven’t been picked up in a couple of decades, they’ve certainly stayed with me.

My shelf’s token concession to the world of creative writing is the works of our national bard, Robert Burns. I’ve always been in awe of a man who had so much time for boozing and womanising and yet produced a legacy that still forms a key part of the Scottish collective consciousness - despite dying at an age four years short of my own. I can (on a good day) still recite Tam O’ Shanter off by heart, and revel in the wizardry of its wordsmith. Every couplet overflows with atmosphere, humour and roguery.

The more pensive poetry of Burns has also made its mark, not just on me but on popular culture, with two of the great American novels – John’s Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men and JD Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye (which I referenced yesterday when discussing my inspirations in fiction) – both taking their titles from the bard’s back catalogue. In Atlanta, Georgia, where I lived for a couple of years a producer for CNN, the local Burns club recreated the poet’s Alloway cottage a century ago and still meets in the life-size replica to this day.

So, despite the unabashed Scottishness of the shelf that I’ve shared with you, it’s fair to say that this wee country has had a very big influence globally. As I travelled the world with work, and as I now embark on a side career as a children’s author (words I never imagined I’d type), I’ve brought a little bit of Scotland to everything I’ve done. And I’m not done sharing Scotland’s stories yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...