Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - The Clockmaker - Free Short Story

Today, I'm super-excited to be sharing a short story from the fabulous Gothic Horror writer, Judith Crow. Here is her Poe-inspired story, The Clockmaker ... The Clockmaker I cannot sleep. I cannot allow myself to sleep. In sleep, Death may strike with as little awareness as warning, and I find myself refusing to accept unawareness at the moment of demise. Yet, I wish I were afforded others’ natural ignorance of the timing of death. In the names of heaven and hell: I both curse and envy them for their ignorance! I, like others, started my final day with little to suggest it may be my last. I was in rude health when I arrived in London twelve days earlier, and today I took the time to call upon Sir Benjamin Pelham, a man I had served alongside in India. Twenty years ago, his interest in science and invention had lured him back to the English universities, while I had stayed abroad to make my fortune overseeing the collapse and redistribution of the once-mighty East India Company.  Si

#IndieApril Craggy the Coo: Nicol's #ShareYourShelf blog!

I was warned ahead of this week that the theme of one of my blog posts would be “Share Your Shelf”. And, if I’m honest, I’ve been putting this one off because it was always destined to out me as a nerd of the highest (or should that be lowest?) order.

My bedroom shelf contains very little in the way of fiction. It is largely stocked with books that have gathered more dust than an Egyptian mummy, and might one day find their way into a Museum of Nerdery.

Specifically, my shelf runneth over with titles relating to either Scottish history and geography, or to seabirds. In some cases, my books are dedicated specifically to Scottish seabirds. As a boy, I was obsessed with how many pairs of Manx shearwater bred on the Isle of Rum, or how many gannets occupied the Bass Rock as opposed to St Kilda or Ailsa Craig. I was consumed by a need to visit all of the major seabird colonies around our shores. Ailsa Craig regrettably remains on my bucket list, but if you haven’t set foot on Hirta or the Bass Rock, I can assure you you’re missing out!

The seabird obsession may be slightly less sociopathic these days, but it does linger. My debut book Craggy the Coo Wants a Place to Call Home was never going to be complete without the protagonist paying a visit to the puffins on Lunga in the Treshnish Isles. And, if a sequel follows, I’ve already pitched the idea that Craggy spends a little more time in the company of Scotland’s diverse wildlife.

The need to know everything about my native land – its past and present, its people and its places – has certainly played a role in crafting Craggy’s journey. And while many of the books on my shelf haven’t been picked up in a couple of decades, they’ve certainly stayed with me.

My shelf’s token concession to the world of creative writing is the works of our national bard, Robert Burns. I’ve always been in awe of a man who had so much time for boozing and womanising and yet produced a legacy that still forms a key part of the Scottish collective consciousness - despite dying at an age four years short of my own. I can (on a good day) still recite Tam O’ Shanter off by heart, and revel in the wizardry of its wordsmith. Every couplet overflows with atmosphere, humour and roguery.

The more pensive poetry of Burns has also made its mark, not just on me but on popular culture, with two of the great American novels – John’s Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men and JD Salinger’s Catcher in the Rye (which I referenced yesterday when discussing my inspirations in fiction) – both taking their titles from the bard’s back catalogue. In Atlanta, Georgia, where I lived for a couple of years a producer for CNN, the local Burns club recreated the poet’s Alloway cottage a century ago and still meets in the life-size replica to this day.

So, despite the unabashed Scottishness of the shelf that I’ve shared with you, it’s fair to say that this wee country has had a very big influence globally. As I travelled the world with work, and as I now embark on a side career as a children’s author (words I never imagined I’d type), I’ve brought a little bit of Scotland to everything I’ve done. And I’m not done sharing Scotland’s stories yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac