Skip to main content

"Did you see it?" - Ghost Story Last Call

Will your story be in our tenth anthology? ... Four words which created a legendary story ... -~-~- Picture this: a mother and her four children walking through the streets of Edinburgh as the night begins to close in. They are looking for a room for the night, but each house is full. The stone buildings seem to grow darker as the streetlamps throw out as much shadow as light. Finally, one of the proprietors offers a positive response and the family hurry inside, into a cramped room with metal bunkbeds, but nonetheless comfy mattresses. Frightened at these new surroundings, concerned that she has brought her children into an unsafe surrounding, the mother puts the children to bed and tries to persuade herself to sleep. The room inside is darker than the putrid orange glow of the sporadic streetlights in the world beyond the curtains which are masking the window, and she once more checks the lock on the door before climbing into her own bed. Then it happens. Knock-knock-knock. Willing h...

Positively Weekend! 5 Things I Love About Indie Publishing

It's Saturday! And, it's not just any Saturday for me, today is the first day of the October holidays! Bear with me while I calm down a little...

Right, I'm back. So...every Saturday, I will be posting a "Positively Weekend" blog, sharing the positive sides of publishing and writing. I'm also doing a Harsh Truth Thursday which does the opposite! Because, yes, there are both sides to the publishing coin.

So today, to kick off the weekend, I'm sharing the 5 things I love most about indie publishing. Indie publishing is a publishing company that is smaller than the big-wigs of the industry. They use their company funds to publish books, and don't expect any money from the author. However, they don't always pay an advance.

Crowvus is an independent publisher. We are a very small publishing company which is growing every year. Initially, there was a strange wibbly line between whether we classed as an indie publisher or self-publisher, but the more we do, the greater income we receive, and the less of our own money we spend.

So...5 things I love about indie publishing:

1) It's personal!

As with most smaller companies, they make their image as a friendly, personal business. The company is not just the books and the office, it is the people. The people are the most important, and individuality is encouraged. In such a creative industry, this encouragement is paramount to the company's image and success.

2) More creative input

Working in an indie publishing company offers something new every week. There is always something different to try, or learn. For me, this usually involves a lot of design input on Adobe, but I also help with formatting some of the books, and marketing for certain books. Each member of our team is creative and we all have our special strengths. Being part of such a small team for such an ambitious business means that there is ample opportunity to flex our creative muscles.
The tight budget on many of our new releases means a lot of the design is done in-house. This also provides plenty of opportunity for creativity. I love it!




3) No two weeks are the same

There's always something different to do, whether that is sewing merchandise, designing postcards, writing a catalogue, designing covers, promotional pictures, researching more printing options. Oh my goodness...when I sit back and think of how much different jobs there are, it seems crazy! There is never any opportunity to get lethargic or bored. It is such a stimulating business!

4) Flexible hours

This one is probably unique to Crowvus, or other micro-publishers, but the flexible nature of our business is vitally important. I have another job, and often catch up with Crowvus admin and tasks in the evening and at the weekends. I'm only able to do this because I enjoy it so much!

5) Networking with like-minded readers

Again, this is something that is important to larger publishers too, but I actually really love connecting with individual readers on Social Media and at events. I've started to use Twitter a lot more now events are just not possible anymore, and I love how I've got to know people I've never met - just because we share a love of books!

So, there are my top 5 things I love about indie publishing. I love how Crowvus is going from strength to strength, but it is backbreaking work sometimes. Little things make it all worthwhile so please do leave a comment, or check out our website where you will be invited to subscribe to our mailing list. We post content out every Sunday evening, and you get sneak peeks and special material just for our loyal followers.

Have a lovely weekend, and I'll post more weekend positivity next Saturday!

Pictures
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels
Photo by Polina Zimmerman from Pexels

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...