As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...
It's been great sharing this week with you all. I haven't missed a day with my blogging, although they tended to be pushing a little bit close to midnight, and I've loved sharing writing advice as well as my upcoming books with you.
Time's a funny thing, isn't it? While I'm sitting here typing, I've lost track on the number of days and weeks since the lockdown began. In some ways it seems to have been an age ago, in others last year seems just like yesterday. My decision to make Time the evil character in Caledon was in part a product of this cruel trick.
There's a writing-world adage, telling authors they should write what they know. It's when I look back at time, and realise all I've done in the last 35 years, that I see how fortunate I am. I'm not going to lie and say things have always been perfect, they haven't.
But life has.
It's been utterly inspirational! And there is no doubt in my mind that, if I didn't believe in the magic and relationships and optimism which has filled my life, I wouldn't write at all!
So, I'm not going to write a whole heap about how amazing it's been, I'm just going to say a great big thank you to you all, and leave you with a few pictures. And, of course, my books.
Virginia Crow
Time's a funny thing, isn't it? While I'm sitting here typing, I've lost track on the number of days and weeks since the lockdown began. In some ways it seems to have been an age ago, in others last year seems just like yesterday. My decision to make Time the evil character in Caledon was in part a product of this cruel trick.
There's a writing-world adage, telling authors they should write what they know. It's when I look back at time, and realise all I've done in the last 35 years, that I see how fortunate I am. I'm not going to lie and say things have always been perfect, they haven't.
But life has.
It's been utterly inspirational! And there is no doubt in my mind that, if I didn't believe in the magic and relationships and optimism which has filled my life, I wouldn't write at all!
So, I'm not going to write a whole heap about how amazing it's been, I'm just going to say a great big thank you to you all, and leave you with a few pictures. And, of course, my books.
Virginia Crow
Over and out.
















Comments
Post a Comment