Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - The Triumph of Maxentius - Free Short Story

Today for the #HistFicThursdays blog, I'm sharing my Alternative History short story The Triumph of Maxentius . It looks at the possible outcome if Constantine had not been victorious at Milvian Bridge. This was one of those key moments in history where everything changed direction... but what if it had gone in a different direction? If you enjoy this story, have a look at my other Roman Alternative History story, Vercingetorix's Virgin , in the Historical Writers Forum 's anthology Alternate Endings . The Battle of the Milvian Bridge (1520–24) by Giulio Romano.  The Triumph of Maxentius Ignatius had not watched his father’s execution. He had been present, hoping to avert the sword’s terrible movement as it delivered its fatal blow but, upon being recognised in the gathering crowd, he had fled. For several weeks he had hidden from everyone he knew and run from those he did not, dreaming of the day he could free his father and quit Rome altogether. But he had never found hi

Objects to Inspire - an #AuthorOfTheWeek blog

Last April I launched Beneath Black Clouds and White. It's a book of which I'm exceptionally proud for a number of reasons. Among them, is the fact that I researched and researched, not just dates and events, but the critical thinking of the time (1790s) and the classes involved.

Being somewhat limited in my interests, I have also accumulated several items which - though many have virtually no monetary value at all - are invaluable to me. Letters written in the hand of a contemporary of my book... the weave of the parchment it was written on... you can't beat the chance to hold these objects in your hands and feel the history seeping through to you.

As a countdown for last year's book launch, I shared a number of objects which I've collected. Most of them are a little later than Beneath Black Clouds and White was set, several linking in to later books which I have written.

Here are a handful, as well as an explanation of why I have and hold them...

The oldest of our collection - a book dating from 1642.
It's strange to think of all this little book has been through, and stranger still to think about how many re-tellings the content had endured before it was printed here.
(Virgil was writing this c.20BC)

A large number of my obsessively hoarded antiques are letters.
Some - like this one - I just had to have on the grounds of the handwriting alone.
I mean, honestly, I'd fallen in love with this guy by his first W!
This is also the oldest of my letter collection, dating back to the end of the eighteenth century.

This one, though being about forty years too late, was irresistible.
It was sent from Buxton - a town which features prominently in Beneath Black Clouds and White - and is all about the advice of a doctor, the very occupation of my own Henry Fotherby in the book!

July 1806 takes us out of Beneath Black Clouds and White and into Day's Dying Glory, my first novel. This letter is from a lawyer to a lady, it could easily have been sent from my Mr Dermot to Miss Imogen Tenterchilt.

Sticking with Day's Dying Glory for a moment - this is a copy of Sir Walter Scott's Ballads and Lyrical Pieces, which is referenced in Day's Dying Glory.
This is a first edition, and was given to me by my first fan!




Day's Dying Glory - chronologically the second part of this family saga - spans the years 1806-1812. This picture was drawn by a young man on the Grand Tour. It has been cut out from his sketchbook and stuck to the back of this poem.

The military - perhaps unsurprisingly, given the dates of my books - features heavily in the stories. In Beneath Black Clouds and White, Fotherby is training as an army surgeon, Tenterchilt begins the book as an army captain, and the pair meet at the Siege of Valenciennes. The meeting of these two gentlemen shapes the saga which will cover more than sixty years.
The publications shown here, along with several others which I don't have copies of, featured in my research and understanding into how the army ran and - perhaps more importantly - perceived itself at the time.

 The yet-to-be-edited-and-published parts of this family saga, run via Waterloo and on to the Crimea. Currently, this is where it ends but, as all sagas should be, it is left open to the possibility of future events and adventures.
This memorial card is a pretty good indication of how everyone loves you when you die. Largely criticised, and with a decent argument to suggest this criticism led to his death, people of the time were pleased to remember Lord Raglan fondly once he had gone.

My final little item is treasure, indeed!
This icon was taken from a priest's house in Sevastopol.
It's not big, it's not showy, but it is beautiful, and has a legacy which transports me back every time I look at it.

In a way, these items are as timeless as their stories. They are not trapped in the time they were made, because they have lasting worth to a new audience, years down the line. Writing historical fiction is a bit like that. Very few people want to read a story which has no relevance for today. But the fact is, history always has something to offer the modern world. As authors we just have to find that thing.

As far as I can make out, the best examples are those of human relationships. After all, we may have leapt on with advancements in many respects, but what makes us people is our ability to love, mourn, and celebrate one another's lives. That hasn't changed for hundreds of years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac