Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - The Triumph of Maxentius - Free Short Story

Today for the #HistFicThursdays blog, I'm sharing my Alternative History short story The Triumph of Maxentius . It looks at the possible outcome if Constantine had not been victorious at Milvian Bridge. This was one of those key moments in history where everything changed direction... but what if it had gone in a different direction? If you enjoy this story, have a look at my other Roman Alternative History story, Vercingetorix's Virgin , in the Historical Writers Forum 's anthology Alternate Endings . The Battle of the Milvian Bridge (1520–24) by Giulio Romano.  The Triumph of Maxentius Ignatius had not watched his father’s execution. He had been present, hoping to avert the sword’s terrible movement as it delivered its fatal blow but, upon being recognised in the gathering crowd, he had fled. For several weeks he had hidden from everyone he knew and run from those he did not, dreaming of the day he could free his father and quit Rome altogether. But he had never found hi

Music to Inspire - An #AuthorOfTheWeek Blog

Three years ago, when I launched my first book, Clemency made me two CDs to take with us on our roadtrip. In many respects, those became the soundtrack for my entire family saga. But many of the songs belong to the finished novels. This blog is looking at the music which inspires me while I'm writing.

As I mentioned in last night's blog and in my #AuthorOfTheWeek interview, most of the music I listen to when I'm writing has no words. This is the safest way of ensuring I don't just start writing out the song lyrics instead of my stories! But, for the sake of this blog, I'm thinking about a mixture of songs and instrumental music, just to ring the changes!

So I've come up with 6 pieces which inspire me (there could have been many more, but I don't want to bore you!) - here they are:

1 - The last three tracks of the Gladiator soundtrack (Elysium, Honour Him, Now We Are Free) [Hans Zimmer]
I fell in love with this soundtrack from the moment I went to watch the film at the cinema for my 15th birthday - yikes, that was a long time ago now!
These pieces of music are now so entwined with my "Story Story" (a.k.a. The Watchers' Heir) that I can hardly hear them now without thinking first and foremost of Wat, the main character.
Since the lyrics in this aren't in English there's no danger of accidentally writing those instead!

2 - Fortune's Wheel [Clare Mann, Aaron Jones]
This was found for me by Judith when we were building one another a playlist for our stories. I absolutely fell in love with it! The partnership of flute and vocals is just so evocative, to say nothing of how perfect the words are for Caledon.
Because this one has words, I usually just sit and listen to it, and then frantically type once it's finished. I'm on with Book 4 of Caledon (out of an ultimate 6) and this song has been with me from the beginning. I'm pretty sure it will stick with me until the end!

3 - Over the Hills and Far Away [John Tams]
I love folk music - something which will no doubt become very apparent during this blog! And, quite honestly, I suspect most authors of Napoleonic historical fiction have fallen under the hand of the Sharpe bug at some point! It's perhaps little surprise then that this made it's way onto the blog!
We were fortunate enough to see John Tams in concert several years ago. It was a fantastic evening, despite the fact we got a flat tyre, and rounded off an unreal day for us. We started at a recording studio, popped across to sing Joe Hill at a picket line, back to the recording studio, then off to the John Tams concert!

4 - Legends of the Fall (The Ludlows) [James Horner]
This piece just floats so seamlessly through chords, yet somehow it maintains a sense of simplicity and grandeur rolled into one. And, whatever I'm writing, this piece of music has a place in it.
After careful consideration, I think James Horner might be my favourite film composer of all time. I'm not sure my favourite pieces are by him, but I am sure that I could listen to virtually any of his soundtracks beginning to end and enjoy them.

5 - The Last Goodbye [Billy Boyd]
My Fotherby song! There is something heartbreakingly beautiful about the meaning in this song and I feel that, if any of my characters understand that, it's Fotherby.
Honestly, I was spoilt for choice from these soundtracks, but this one just has it all!

6 - Dark Lochnagar [The Corries]
It's that guy again - he creeps in everywhere - Byron, of course!
If the last song was Fotherby's, this is certainly- oh no, wait, no spoilers! Let's just suffice to say that this poem is central to the story, and one character in particular. It's not an understatement to say this song helped create the plot of Day's Dying Glory!
The list goes on, and it's almost inexhaustible. So many soundtracks, so many songs! To me, music is a part of my everyday life (I'm a private music teacher!), there's no wonder I find it so inspiring! During this lockdown, I'm making sure I find time to make music and, invariably, when I sit down at the piano and sing, each song speaks to me of a different part or character in one of my stories.

This has been a rather self-indulgent blog, but I hope you've uncovered some new tunes, and I'd love to hear what music inspires you to write - call it professional curiosity!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac