Skip to main content

"Did you see it?" - Ghost Story Last Call

Will your story be in our tenth anthology? ... Four words which created a legendary story ... -~-~- Picture this: a mother and her four children walking through the streets of Edinburgh as the night begins to close in. They are looking for a room for the night, but each house is full. The stone buildings seem to grow darker as the streetlamps throw out as much shadow as light. Finally, one of the proprietors offers a positive response and the family hurry inside, into a cramped room with metal bunkbeds, but nonetheless comfy mattresses. Frightened at these new surroundings, concerned that she has brought her children into an unsafe surrounding, the mother puts the children to bed and tries to persuade herself to sleep. The room inside is darker than the putrid orange glow of the sporadic streetlights in the world beyond the curtains which are masking the window, and she once more checks the lock on the door before climbing into her own bed. Then it happens. Knock-knock-knock. Willing h...

The Greatest Lesson the Bronte Sisters Gave Us


Charlotte Bronte - author of "Jane Eyre"

On this day in 1816, Charlotte Bronte was born – author of Jane Eyre and older sister of Emily and Anne Bronte who were also writers. It’s quite poignant to stop and think of these events that happened so long ago, but in a family of strong-willed individuals, it isn’t long before there is a debate opportunity:





Which has the better ending?


Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights






Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte has an almost fairytale like ending. Everything is resolved for the better – there is love and a convenient change in circumstances too! I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but no one can say that Jane Eyre does not have a satisfactory ending. Yes, there’s a tiny hint of darkness in the fairytale ending (no details on this), but there are generally smiles all round.



Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte is quite a dark novel which spans two generations. Whilst the first generation suffer unspeakably, the younger characters overcome all this darkness to give the classic an intensely satisfactory ending. For me, the darkness of the novel adds exponentially to the hope and happiness at the end.



It may have escaped your notice that I am Camp Wuthering Heights. I think that the hope and love at the end of the novel is truly awe-inspiring. Having said that, it is one of my very favourite books so maybe I’m biased, but I love a book which has the light and goodness shining through the darkness. Sometimes (and I’m sure other readers will agree with me) a book will reach out and talk to you, connecting with your very soul. For me, Wuthering Heights is that book.



But don’t get me wrong – I love the story of Jane Eyre. I find it highly entertaining, thrilling and inspiring. I have spent part of this week in love with a house that, in my mind, is Thornfield Hall. I've walked up there when I can and simply gazed in the empty windows, and listened to the birds, thrilled that there were no human sounds at all.
Thornfield Hall - or Dunalistair Estate




Most of all, however, I love that Charlotte, Emily and Anne Bronte were all writers (and sisters!) but had completely different styles and opinions on what a good book should contain. I come from a family of writers and we love writing together and reading each other’s stories – but no one could ever say our books were the same. When I was little, I used to try and write books in the same genre as my older sisters, but soon found that I was meant to write for a different audience.



It’s incredibly important when writing a story to remember to include your own style – your own voice. I’ve just had to give up on a fantasy book I was reading (I’m very disappointed with myself) because the author had fallen into the trap that many fantasy authors do. He was trying to mimic The Lord of the Rings, and Game of Thrones, instead of developing his own unique style.



When I was teaching the P7s to write stories, I reiterated the importance of an individual’s style, and always showed how great it was to be unique. No, you don’t want to write like J K Rowling or Philip Pullman – you want to write like yourself!



So, while the Brontes left the world (too early) with some of the most spectacular British literature, the biggest lesson we can learn from them is that everyone is different. Every writer has their own style which is unique and special in its own way.



Keep writing!!



PS: I know I’ve missed Anne out from a lot of this discussion. I’d like to read one of her books but I don’t know much about them. Do they have a happy ending?

PPS: Which has the happier ending?? Comment below or vote on Day's Dying Glory Twitter Poll!

Comments

  1. Well constructed blog - absolutely agree about the individuality - but couldn't possibly say which has the most satisfactory ending - both endings could pan out (with reference to past baggage) in at least two directions - the reader will use his/her own experience and inclination to move the story forward from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, and feedback! When I finish a good book, I always feel at a complete loss so I make up a story in my mind about the characters - baggage and all! I wonder how many people do that...?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...