Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Well, it's Byron, isn't it?

 As it's National Poetry Day, I thought I'd share a few thoughts on Byron. The celebrity cult of Lord Byron began while he was still alive, boomed when he died, and still continues today. He remains an object of fascination, scandal, and appeal. I've been interested in him since I first read about him in a "Famous People" encyclopaedia. It was a children's book, so it did not explore the more infamous aspects of his life. But it was enough to inspire me to delve further into research on the man and the myth - including the puzzle of the mirror . Ultimately, Byron went on to become a major inspiration for my first published book Day's Dying Glory , right down to its title. His early poems (generally my favourite ones) feature heavily in the book, and I enjoyed weaving in lines and references which Byron-fans would spot where others might not even notice them. Poets and poetry have inspired hundreds of writers. It is fascinating that language can be so power...

Inspirational Perthshire


Virginia Crow (author of Day's
Dying Glory) at Innerpeffray
Library
I’m not sure what it was about my last holiday that made it so special. Whether it was because it was intertwined with the Day’s Dying Glory book launch event at Innerpeffray Library, or because I needed a rest from all my responsibilities, or that it was just an amazing place to stay…I really loved last week’s holiday!

The cottage was The Old Post Office on Dunalistair Estate and we had booked it from Saturday to Saturday. The road to the cottage was bumpy and bendy which, being a non-driver, I didn’t mind a bit. In fact, it seemed to add to the whole experience. Once at the cottage, I realised what an astonishing view we would have for the next 7 days. The cottage looked out across an open field, over Dunalistair Water and to Schiehallion beyond. On clear days, you could see the whole mountain which stood quite close to the cottage. Once every day, however, the mountain top would be covered by mist that would make you thankful you weren’t climbing the imposing natural structure!

The view from the front door
The wildlife was a treat! We get the chaffinches and siskins at home but watching the red squirrels stealing the bird food was stunning for me. The only time I’ve seen red squirrels that close before is at the Highland Wildlife Park and it seems to lose a little something when they are not 100% wild. The strange little acrobats that the squirrels would perform were so hilarious and so adorable, I could watch them for hours.

While I maintain that pheasants are some of the most stupid birds in existence, their beauty and grandeur cannot be denied. I miss waking up to the sound of pheasants barking outside my window. It’s quite a magical sound!

Orlando, our spaniel, went mad for the deer! When we would walk him along the path through the field, he would see one or two roe deer running away and scream his head off while pulling on the lead with all his might…and can he be strong when he really wants to!!

Writers all take their inspiration from different things. It could be a cup of tea made the wrong way, an overheard conversation on the street, and painting in the window of a shop. For me, and I think many others, nature gives a wealth of inspiration. Therefore, I found my holiday in Perthshire food for my creativeness.

But the one thing that really charged me up creatively was Thornfield Hall. Along the track from where we were staying, was the old Dunalistair house, or Mount Alexander – only, it was a stripped shell of a house. Most of the roof had gone, all the glass in the windows had gone, and there were even trees growing from the rooms inside. The moment I saw it from the driveway, I instantly thought of Thornfield Hall from Jane Eyre – after the fire.

"Thornfield Hall"
One of the most enjoyable, and inspirational, things about the house was that I never saw anyone else there. It was on a working estate and I saw a couple of cars going up the track towards it but all the time we were around the house, we had the place completely to ourselves. Alone with our thoughts, the creation of stories in my mind was on overload.

There were several other inspirational moments during the holiday. The sheer age and pure history of Fortingall Yew – a living tree that is 2000-3000 years old – really called out to my imagination when I considered just how much this tree had witnessed in its drawn-out life. There’s an epic there…waiting to be written. Anyone want to take up the challenge?

On the Friday – the last day of the holiday – we went to Killiecrankie. As we stood beneath the viaduct, a train went overhead. We heard it rattling along the track above us. In the few seconds that I had available to make a wish, I couldn’t think of anything that I wanted to wish for. That, I told myself, was a sign of true contentment. At the last second, I remembered that this was only a holiday, and I made my wish. I’ll see if it comes true.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...