Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - Things to Inspire - Religious Artefacts

 Writing historical fiction, it is impossible to ignore the overwhelming impact religion had on people's lives. It was not only the structure of organised religion, but the interwoven beliefs which dominated people's lives. Christianity, the religion which runs through most of my historical fiction, grew and survived with its ability to adapt as it spread from place to place and culture to culture, absorbing certain traditions as it powered on. I love Theology. I did my undergraduate degree in it, and it continues to remain a real interest of mine. I also love the idea of holding hands across history, seeing what my characters saw, and holding the same objects in my own hands as they or their peers did. Given the significance of religion and superstition throughout history, these things were common - although not necessarily accessible - and would have been understood by all. Religious iconography dominated Pre-Reformation Europe, speaking as a universal language to all. These

#IndieApril Craggy Blog: Plotting Craggy's Path

There’s nothing like a global pandemic to make you appreciate the life you had before. Without the freedom to roam around Scotland, my debut book would never have happened. And I’m grateful to this day that it was done and dusted before Covid struck. The fact I’ve been unable to travel the country again to launch Craggy the Coo Wants a Place to Call Home is a trifling inconvenience in the great scheme of what we’ve all endured over the past 13 months or so.


I’ve been asked how I picked the places that Craggy travels to in the course of his journey. If I’m honest, they really picked themselves, based on where I happened to be or personally chose to visit in the 18 months or so it took me to put the book together.

So let’s start at the start. The first picture I ever took of Craggy on location was in the village of Rockcliffe, Dumfries and Galloway in January 2018. That stretch of the Solway coastline brings back magical memories from my childhood when, to quote one of my favourite authors – the late and sorely-missed Iain Banks – in his classic, The Crow Road, “every day was a week, each month a year. A season was a decade, and every year a life.” I spent a lot of time in the area with my aunt, uncle, cousins and grandparents and I hadn’t visited for decades. Given that it was relatively short drive from my family home in Langholm, I was delighted to return to that special part of my early years to bring out the inner bairn that would be needed to make the book work. The Rockcliffe photo accompanies the first verse of Craggy’s story.

While I’m a country boy at heart, I have family just outside Edinburgh and friends in Glasgow I like to visit, so it seemed apt that the wee coo got a taste of city life before deciding it wasn’t his cup of tea. I was blessed with glorious weather in both locations, and I’m glad I packed Craggy in my bag when I dropped by!

Glasgow serves as the starting point of many a trip by train up the west coast, and so it was natural that Craggy accompanied me to one of my favourite spots in the whole of Scotland, the Isle of Lunga in the Treshnish archipelago off Mull. Here, you can picnic amongst the abundant puffins, who see humans as a deterrent to their natural predators (greater black-backed gulls and skuas) and are more than happy to spend time in our company. They were similarly tolerant of Craggy, which was handy for the purposes of the story!

Mull’s capital Tobermory is one of a few starting points for expeditions to the Treshnish Isles so I thought it only right that a new generation of children become familiar with a village that inspired the previous one, thanks to its starring role in the BBC’s Balamory.

Further north, the wilds of Assynt were a part of the world I visited frequently in my roaring twenties, when groups of us would hire a cottage over the New Year break and split our time between wild weather walks and even wilder nights playing board games as gales, hail and snow battered the windows. I was reintroduced to this magical part of the world by my dear friend and ex-colleague Ali, who visits the village of Lochinver twice a year, in April and September. A new-found appreciation for Assynt in more clement conditions swiftly took hold, and Craggy pays a visit to two of the area’s most celebrated sights.


No tour around Scotland would be complete without featuring some of our country’s most iconic locations, necessitating a stop in South Queensferry to admire the Victorian engineering marvel that is the Forth Bridge, and a trip with Jacobite Cruises up Loch Ness from Fort Augustus in search of the elusive monster. *SPOILER ALERT* Craggy didn’t find her.

And the book is quite literally book-ended by photos from the Isle of Skye which, while now an arguably over-trodden part of the tourism trail, is somewhere very dear to me. I lived there as a little lad and my dad’s side of the family hails from the crofting community of Braes, south of Portree. All of my favourite childhood holidays were spent on the island, long before the days of the bridge, and it’s somewhere I still gravitate back to (and where I can still find places to avoid the swarms of visitors).

Craggy’s final stop in the story is left suitably vague but, since you’ve stuck around to read this post from top to bottom, I’ll let you into a secret. The location where our hero receives a warm welcome from a fellow coo is near Port Ellen on the island of Islay. I lived in nearby Bowmore between the ages of six and 15, and feel absolutely blessed to have called it home. That Craggy felt the same excitement to settle there is only natural.

---

Join in Craggy's book launch by ordering the book from the Crowvus store here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac