Skip to main content

September - A Recap

 September has been a busy month at Crowvus HQ. We have lost a beloved member of the team, published two books, closed our Tenth Ghost Story Competition, and we have blogged every single (work) day. It's been an absolutely roller-coaster. Still, we would like to thank you all for sharing it with us: for your kind words on the loss of Orlando; for your support on the launch of our new author's new book; for entrusting us with your words. Whether you've been a reader, a writer, or a spectator, we're glad you've share the road with us.

NaNoWriMo Day 12 - Writing Goals: Yey or Nay!



Tuesday 12th November - Writing Goals: Yey or Nay!

I think the important thing when setting writing goals is not just to be realistic, it's also to be ready for the fact that – even when you're very realistic – things may not work out the way that you want them to.
Image result for finishing post free clipart


The late great John Lennon says that “life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”. Whatever plans you make for your writing are going to end up going slightly by the wayside because of other things that are happening to you in your life. For example, I am currently dictating this blog onto Microsoft Word whilst lounging with a cold compress over my eyes to get rid of the stress headache I've got from a day of teaching combined with an evening spent at school preparing for the HMI visit next week.

At the front of my school planning book there is a list of things I want to get done this year, and a lot of those are creative writing based: I want to get my book ready for publishing (I now have to get this done because Dance With Me is going out in October 2020); I want to enter more competitions; I want to be available to edit more; I want to read more…

But the fact is: it's not happening. The aims were realistic when I wrote them, but I could not have known what the direction that life is going to go in. How was I to know that we would have this inspection next week?!

The moral to this story is: be prepared for long-term writing goals to shift and shuffle.

Setting smaller writing goals is more doable, especially if you know you're on a good writing streak. I have found it’s a good idea to set yourself the task of writing so many words a day or so many words before you go for dinner. Just don't do what I sometimes do and aim for so many words before you go to the loo – otherwise you can end up wriggling quite uncomfortably if you hit a sudden bout of writer's block!

I tend to set a writing goals of 3000 words per chapter. There’s no real reason for this although, as a primary school teacher, I like the idea of a number easily divisible by three, to give you a beginning, middle and end. Perhaps that's why the manuscripts where I aim for 5000 words per chapter just don't seem to develop as successfully!

Things like NaNoWriMo are great for setting yourself medium-term writing goals and the fact is that we do need these goals to keep us on task. We just have to be aware of the fact that, however much we would like to, we usually can't ignore the rest of our lives in order to put pen to paper!
I think what I'm saying is that writing goals are very important, but they are not the only way to create. By all means: set yourself a writing goal; be realistic; be prepared to have life throw you off in another direction; and then be prepared to find the humour in the fact that nothing works out the way you want it to.

The rewarding – and ironic – thing is that these “life diversions” (as you could call them) are what give you the ingredients for making believable and interesting pieces of creative writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - Mrs Murray's Home

I'm thrilled to be taking part in the book tour for this really enjoyable book "Mrs Murray's Home" by Emily-Jane Hills Orford! Mrs Murray's Home Blurb Home is where the heart is, or so they say. It’s also been said that a home is a person’s castle. But home is also with family and friends. Mrs. Murray longs for home, the family home, a castle an ocean away. The Brownies also crave for home, the same castle Mrs. Murray considers home. And Granny? Mary’s Granny hasn’t been home since she was Mary’s age. It’s time to visit the homeland, Scotland. Mary’s excited to tag along with Granny, Mrs. Murray and the Brownies. And then there’s the witch. The one they thought they’d killed. And the treasure. The one they had found. And it all ties together, for better or for worse. Join the adventure in book 3 of the popular “Piccadilly Street Series”. Review I loved most of the characters, in particular Brunny. He seemed human (although, of course,...

50 Years and Celebrating

  50 years ago today a small event occurred in a small town in a small county in a small country. That event was a wedding, and today Crowvus HQ have been celebrating it. After all, it's safe to say that if this event had never happened, neither would Crowvus! The couple were - of course - our Mum and Dad. Being a family business (if you weren't aware: Crowvus is the creation of three sisters) has so many advantages, and being able to be together for occasions such as these is just one of them. So please do join us in extending congratulations and very best wishes to Mr and Mrs Crow on 50 years of marriage. 💒 50 Years On

Book Review: A Paraphrase of "Paradise Lost" For Youngsters

  Blurb: This retelling of books V and VI of the epic poem Paradise Lost, written by John Milton, follows  the story of Satan's rebellion and fall from grace. The Father announces his heir, Satan rebels,  Abdiel tries to reason with the fallen angels, followed by a war scarring Heaven's landscape.  Brother against brother, the rebellious few against their Father, a family torn apart by war,  concluded by the victor, the Father's chosen Son, casting the disobedient out of paradise. Excerpt: At God’s declaration of war, dark clouds covered all of Heaven and smoke began to roll down  the sacred hill. Then the countless hosts of Heaven marched on the enemy, fully armed from  head to toe with helmets, spears, and shields. Satan gathered together his army as well. He stood on his chariot, bright as the Sun,  surrounded by his fiery angels with their golden shields, and marched toward the throne of God. He hoped that if he moved swiftly enough, he could ...