Skip to main content

#HistFicThursdays - The Clockmaker - Free Short Story

Today, I'm super-excited to be sharing a short story from the fabulous Gothic Horror writer, Judith Crow. Here is her Poe-inspired story, The Clockmaker ... The Clockmaker I cannot sleep. I cannot allow myself to sleep. In sleep, Death may strike with as little awareness as warning, and I find myself refusing to accept unawareness at the moment of demise. Yet, I wish I were afforded others’ natural ignorance of the timing of death. In the names of heaven and hell: I both curse and envy them for their ignorance! I, like others, started my final day with little to suggest it may be my last. I was in rude health when I arrived in London twelve days earlier, and today I took the time to call upon Sir Benjamin Pelham, a man I had served alongside in India. Twenty years ago, his interest in science and invention had lured him back to the English universities, while I had stayed abroad to make my fortune overseeing the collapse and redistribution of the once-mighty East India Company.  Si

New Year's Resolutions

So it's that time of the year again. The time when the internet is flooded with a million and one blog posts about people's crazy new year resolutions.  Well, I've got some bad news for you...this is another one of those posts!

This New Year is special. It signals the arrival of a new decade as well, and I find it frightening to consider how much might change before the next decade. A year seems much more manageable to think about.

There are a lot of things I have committed to for the next year. Firstly, my job as a Primary Teacher. I swing from loving my job to the opposite, and I suppose this is quite normal for any paid work.

Another is my Science degree. I have an exam in June - my first exam since I was at High School - so that'll be interesting!!!

Thirdly, Crowvus will take up a huge chunk of my time. It's time consuming, exhausting, it sometimes feels like we're banging our heads against brick walls, but I love it!! As well as publishing other people's books, I also need to keep marketing my own books. Must remember that!

Then there's the John o' Groats Book Festival and the Caithness Music Festival.

On top of this, I continue to be the chairperson of the local Allotment Association. I didn't want this, but really wanted an allotment,  and no one else would take on the role. I hope the 20s will see the rise in allotment use in Wick, including me spending more time there.

So, understandably I think, when people say that they haven't done something they should have done and blame on their lack of time, I feel like throwing a bucket of ice over their heads. And then explaining my insane list of commitments.

But on to my New Year's Resolutions. Let's start with Crowvus...

○ Publish 5 books (from different authors)
○ Sign another author
○ Participate in more face-to-face events

○ Complete my final draft of 2/3 books I'm publishing in 2021
○ Grow my Twitter following to 1000
○ Grow my Instagram following to 10. Ok, I'm new!
○ Establish a more reliable YouTube channel
○ Update my website every month
○ Write to schools asking for book reviewers

○ Post a book review every month
○ Post a 'Heaven is Hard Work' blog every Friday
○ Send out a Crowvus newsletter every Saturday 
○ Post a youtube video every Tuesday

○ Grow as much of Christmas dinner as possible at the allotment
○ Not buy clothes, but make my own instead.
○ Start a blog about this, posting on Thursdays

I feel certain I have missed some, but can't think of anything more.

What a lot to be going on with! If you feel like helping out, Crowvus is always looking for people who would like to review one of our books, or who want to be part or the book launch team, which includes building buzz around a book, and posting about it when it comes out.

If you're interested, get in touch with me (Clemency) at the_team@crowvus.com

Happy New Year!!

What are your New Year Resolutions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#HistFicThursdays - Muskets & Minuets - Lindsey S. Fera - Book Excerpt

   This week, I'm delighted to once again be teaming up with  The Coffee Pot Book Club ! Today I'm sharing an excerpt from the stunning book,  Muskets & Minuets  by Lindsey S. Fera! So let's begin by meeting the book... Love. Politics. War. Amidst mounting tensions between the British crown and the American colonists of Boston, Annalisa Howlett struggles with her identity and purpose as a woman. Rather than concern herself with proper womanly duties, like learning to dance a minuet or chasing after the eligible and charming Jack Perkins, Annalisa prefers the company of her brother, George, and her beloved musket, Bixby. She intends to join the rebellion, but as complications in her personal life intensify, and the colonies inch closer to war with England, everything Annalisa thought about her world and womanhood are transformed forever. Join Annalisa on her journey to discover what it truly means to be a woman in the 18th century, all set against the backdrop of some of

#HistFicThursdays - An Open Invitation to Historical Fiction Writers: #HistFicMay

 I'm always impressed by the power of social media in spreading the word about books and writing. In the hope of giving back to that, I'm going to be running a social media event throughout May to help spread the word for the fabulous historical fiction authors who are in the online writing community. All you have to do is answer the questions/challenges which match up to each day on the list. Remember, posts with pictures are always more eye-catching. You can include pictures, quotes, and purchase links in any of these. If you don't have a picture for any post, just use the #HistFicMay banner (which you can download from this blog). You can choose light or dark depending on which best suits your writing. And remember to use the #HistFicMay hashtag so I can find your post! I will retweet, share, and like all the posts which answer these challenges on Twitter (@DaysDyingGlory), Facebook (@DaysDyingGlory), and Instagram (@StomperMcEwan), and please feel free to give me a nud

#HistFicThursdays - Christmas Snippets

Christmas is coming, it's only four days away! For someone who loves Christmas so much, the festival and celebration of Christmas does not feature in as many of my books as I would have expected. All the same, I've drawn together a couple of snippets concerning Christmas from various stories I've written, and I present them to you now as my #HistFicThursdays offering (you can also find a couple from Beneath Black Clouds and White here , as well as last year's offerings here ). Philip was almost grateful of the laborious journey, as it numbed his body to the pains which lay ahead. Instead, he concentrated all his thoughts on the imminent arrival of Advent. It had always been his favourite season of the church’s year. The coming of peace. And he was ready for peace. ~ from The Year We Lived The presents were distributed by Hamish and Roger and all those present had a gift matched perfectly to their recipient. The day continued with games and carols, for which Catherine ac